New in Houdini - scared by expressions.. how did you learn them?

lyansart

Hi to all!

I'm just starting to study Houdini, and I know I'm only at the beginning, but when I'm following some basic tutorials I see some (weird) expressions that I've never seen before.
Ok, thanks to those tutorials I can get that if I need to replicate that exercise I need that expression. But how did they get it?

Why that one? Why not another one? Will be I able to do that too one day, without just referencing to another exercise I already did?

I'm getting scared that maybe I'm just memorizing random stuff instead of really understanding why of those actions.

Was like that for all of you? I will just get use to all the expressions or if it's difficult for me now, so it'll be also in the future?

Thanks for sharing

Any tips or advise is well accepted

Hi,

The way I learn which expressions to use and when is by using the textport. If you type "exhelp", you'll get a list of all the expressions avalaible in Houdini. But if you want to find help and some examples about one founction, you can type "exhelp (name of the founction)" (for example "exhelp point" will give you the info of the point expression, what it does and some examples which will show you how to use it). Then you need to use them and it will becore more clear about what founction does what.

1. As to Houdini expressions per se, read exhelp command and go every day with a few of these function trying them out. Make a small examples, link two or three functions together. 

2. As to scripting itself, go through Python tutorials (like official one from python.org) to familiarize your self with basic concepts of programming. As it's not strictly necessary, it's good to have solid foundation of those strange concepts like variables, augments, functions, constants etc etc

The best thing i suggest you , before going to houdini just study programming languages like C,C++ and OOPS concepts . because all concepts in houdini is completly made upon  in basis of OPENGL (or maybe CL)  and graphics languages. my best suggestion ...best of luck

Edited by chandru123