Perfect sphere with copy sop or transforming individual prims

vtrvtr

Hello

How would I go about turning this

rJ28nWt.png

into

nUm6z8k.png

this?

In order words, how would I rotate the hexagons so they fit properly? The hexagons in the first pick are copied into points that I put in the center of the second pic prims 

Alternatively, is it possible to control scale/rotate each prim individually in a normal geo? 

The effect I'm trying to achieve is creating a channel for each primitive in a CHOP network and then transforming them individually 

Thank you 

This page has some great information for working with the Copy SOP:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.5/copy/instanceattrs

Those are all the attributes that can be applied to your template points to influence the behavior of the copied geometry. In this case you're interested in the rot attribute, which allows you to keep the normals for use in orienting the copies. Here is a basic setup using a Point Wrangle:

float rad = radians(ch("rotation"));
@rot = quaternion(rad, @N);

This depends on having a spare parameter attached to your Wrangle named "rotation." You can play around with offsetting rotation speed by point number to make the animation a bit more interesting. 

Hope that helped!

13 hours ago, jrockstad said:

This page has some great information for working with the Copy SOP:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.5/copy/instanceattrs

Those are all the attributes that can be applied to your template points to influence the behavior of the copied geometry. In this case you're interested in the rot attribute, which allows you to keep the normals for use in orienting the copies. Here is a basic setup using a Point Wrangle:

float rad = radians(ch("rotation"));
@rot = quaternion(rad, @N);

This depends on having a spare parameter attached to your Wrangle named "rotation." You can play around with offsetting rotation speed by point number to make the animation a bit more interesting. 

Hope that helped!

Hi, thanks for the answer

I'm aware of this functionality, my question was more if anyone knows trick to achieve this kind of shape since they seem like something someone would have tried before. I actually ended up going a different way about it, so this question is more of a curiosity thing than anything