Toms "Learning Houdini" Gallery

Thomas Helzle

"Focus Circles"

This began as an experiment in VEX to see how I could create a variation of a closest point search that also had a minimum distance. My (not very effective) solution was, to first search for the points with the larger distance, then for the inner radius points, then checking if the latter points were part of the former and if not, saving the point to a new array as the result.
Works in principle, but one has to have a lot of points in the outer group to be able to remove enough of them with the second group. So it can be used to remove the often many very short connections one gets if using such a search for creating lines between the points, but for larger sets it's slow since has to do two lookups and then find one group in the other for each point. 

Alternatively one could check the distance from each point in the first group for it's lenght, but I'm not sure it would be faster (didn't do a timed test).

Any other, more clever ways to do it?

Anyway, at least I made the test into something pretty :-)

FocusCircles.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"Splash"

Did part two of Hernan Llanos vector/fluid tutorial and it is really great, since Hernan goes into the basics and builds it all from scratch. Understood quite a bit more about fluids and how to build custom forces. Thanks Hernan!!!

Splash!.jpg

Exported as FBX and rendered in Thea Render.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Thomas Helzle
  • Like 1

"Splash Flower"

Then I played with the resulting mesh, looking for interesting ways of stylisation. Thought I should try the new booleans. Created radial planes to cut the object and only kept the intersection splines, then extruded them. Duplicated them several times and came up with this:

SplashFlower.jpg

Again, rendered in Thea Render.

• Like 5

On 9/3/2017 at 3:18 PM, Thomas Helzle said:

"Sine Cube"

Sphere packing on a rounded cube with pscale defined by a sine function.

SineCube.jpg

Post in Lightroom & PS.

Cheers,

Tom

Diggin your packing stuff! How do you did the pscale thing? something like this? @pscale = sin( @P.x * 2 ); dont have houdini here to test, also how you define by distance? with a measure sop?

Keep it up!

Cheers

5 hours ago, caskal said:

Diggin your packing stuff! How do you did the pscale thing? something like this? @pscale = sin( @P.x * 2 ); dont have houdini here to test, also how you define by distance? with a measure sop?

Keep it up!

Cheers

More like  f@pscale = sin(length(v@P)) * 0.5 + 0.5;   and some "ch"'s thrown in for easy access to the scalings... :-)

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thomas Helzle said:

More like  f@pscale = sin(length(v@P)) * 0.5 + 0.5;   and some "ch"'s thrown in for easy access to the scalings... :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks a lot! will do some experiments today, I always forgot the ch stuff for easier control, super newbie to vex, really appreciate

Cheers!

Is it possibly the one frame overlap? ie. looping a sequence from 0-100, you need to cut off a frame and loop 1-100.
It looks subtle enough that it might be the issue.

edit:
then again, the jump is only really noticeable at the back... is that an edge blend effect, then?

Edited by stickman
re-thunk it
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't have much time for explorations lately due to commercial projects, but in the last job I connected some nodes wrongly and thought it to be an interesting structure, so saved out a version for later.
I love happy accidents so this was quite welcome :-)

HappyAccident.jpg

Houdini 16, exported as FBX and rendered in Thea Studio with DOF in-camera.

Cheers,

Tom

"The Ball"

A while ago I came up with this while testing some nodes:

MembraneFlowerBall.jpg

I exported it as FBX and rendered with Thea Render, then did some post in Lightroom to make it a bit rougher...

Today I finally decided to buy Redshift and used the same object for some testing, but this time rendered as strands with the latest 2.5 beta:

TheBall.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Thomas Helzle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After working for "Velvet" in Munich on a motion graphics job for some weeks, doing mostly finishing, shading and rendering, I can finally do some personal explorations again. :-)

"Structures"

Playing with Voronoi, rendered with Octane this time (could not decide between Redshift and Octane, so got both in the end ;-)  ).

The spikes are a funny bug in Houdini that comes up when you are using the local transform on per-polygon polyextrusion...

Done in my brandnew Houdini Core license, served from my "mobile license server" (an older Netbook with low powerconsumption I no longer use).

Structures.thumb.jpg.9a55b2ac12151236ea92c5f4124336b6.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Thomas Helzle
  • Like 1