Effect Shot For May Demo: A Clay Man

lorduk

Hi

the idea is to make a funny little clip ~10sec where a clay ball tries to model a litlle boy out of it self (pinochio with a twist) :shocking:

the short script woud be a ball starts to bounce, until it pushes a limb out (hand), then the hand molds another one

hands ma make a hole @ neck position and pull out a head

it jumps some mote until it's upright position - starts to shake, pushes - and it has a leg, now hands pull the legs appart - the character (lets call him Marvin in the honour of the most intelegent being in the universe (according D. Adams)) starts to look rather proud - suddenly a hand breaks off and falls to pieces, he looks suprised and falls backwards breaking off one legg - the final shot a lot of pieces and a leg standing proud :o (it should look like the clay tried up)

I am not planning to do any complicated volume calcluation for soft clay, morphing? metaballs with good displacement texture? maybe even i3d that woul leave me some options for filtering the surface?

Also if anybody has a good idea how to do SIMPLE breaking .... I just don't feel up to the Gatorade add :P also no DOP's yet

Planning to put at least 4h per week on to this (as I am finishing full fetaure lenght documentary it is hard to find the time)

I think the order of stuff made would be:

storyboards

models

technical planning

re-modeling for fx

executing effects

back to technical planning (assesing what did wrong in the first time)

hope to get decent stuff ;)

any comments, suggsestions etc?

-Kaspar