art3mis

Natron vs...

A Houdini novice I'm just getting started exploring the world of compositing.

Have any Houdini users reading this tried Natron?

Other than being free, was wondering what advantages it has, besides cost, over Maya and Houdini for compositing?

I don't think Natro supports audio so as a final compositor, it is of little use to me. I tried Fusion 8 and it had problems reading my camera footage (.mp4 and .mts). I kind of gave up on both and still fall back to After Effects. Although I do have the Nuke demo installed. Nuke is probably the one you want to learn.

Never had a problem with nuke and the non-commercial version is free so you could try it. From what i can see from the natron's website the interface is the same as nuke, in the end the nodes of a compositing software are always the same.

I came back on Fusion when pass under Blackmagic Design because is free also for Commercial works (if I read well) and the unlimitated/ultra HD version is very low price around 1000 $.
 Alternative could be Autodesk Composite, but... mh...mh.... Fusion is better if you want a free version.

Mat

Natron is a open-source copy of Nuke. It still lacks 3D functions but is quite robust in handling 2d compositing.

I use Houdini, Natron and Blender depending on the task. The strong part about Houdini´s comp is VOP filters and generators for me. Blender works for editing and exporting video and audio. 

Edited by konstantin magnus

As well as missing the 3d functions, Natron doesn't support deep compositing either I believe. It's pretty useful for a basic comp though.

tried it, unfortunately, compared to Nuke, its missing some critical features I'd like to use (many blending modes in merge node are not there, for instance). houdini COP for compositing is... meh. really can't compete with dedicated comp package. but it shouldn't come as a surprise :) It is a great tool to have but for different things than actual compositing (textures, mostly).