Crowd agent fbx load, merging clips to single agent

soomld

right so something here seems to work - i've just brute force scaled the rig and mesh down in maya to 0.01 and it came into houdini fine at that scale.  however as you can see theres some issue in my rig.

At this point i'm tempted to go back to formula - rebuild my rig properly so it scales then i can do this method at least of scaling to 0.01

so annoying i cant simply drop a transform sop in :(

pic.JPG

2 minutes ago, Sepu said:

I have found out that you always have to scale down your Maya Geo in Houdini by .01 at least if you are modeling or animating in real scale in Maya then do whatever you gotta do in H at then I have a the invert of 0.01 in a Transform and it work just fine. Im dealing with that right now. I've been doing Water sim , cloth sim, pyro sim, and all the geo that I get from Maya I have to scale down by that amount. we are exporting back and forth using Alembic the loading stuff in Vray PRoxy. Not issues so far.

thanks mate yeah i literally just discovered that myself here lol - its like the fbx scale option does nothing!!  typical maya uselessness!

yip i think i will need to sort my rig out then export again and hopefully i can make some progress :/

woooot i think i made some progress!  i tweaked my rig and added a scale control in there to the joints and it seems to have come in okay (i think).

@Atom i've attached the .fbx files again could you check it and see if theres anything wrong with it?
tarzan_walkCycleLoop.zip

pic.JPG

tarzan_walkCycleLoop.zip

I tried out your new FBX set and much better I was able to use the three states to create a simple seek goal and stop once the goal is reached. Check out the attached ZIP file.

The agents start off in the panic state. After 2 seconds they transition into walk which gives them a goal. Each frame the PopWrangle examines and updates the distance between the agent position and the goal position. The CrowdTrigger looks at the distance for a given agent and if it is less than 1 then the agent transitions from walk to idle. Notice that I also put a PopWrangle on the idle chain and set the velocity to 0 to make sure that the agent stays stopped once it reaches a goal.

NOTE: The scatter1 count must be equal to the agent count so each agent will always have a goal point to seek.

crowd_example_seek_goal_stop.zip

agent_seek_goal.gif

Edited by Atom
  • Like 2

@Atomoh wow that's brilliant! That setup is superb! So can I ask does that have the ragdoll system in there too? I found I was able to create my agent with clips using these new exports but I couldn't figure out how to put the ragdoll in there.  In my scene file you can see I configured my original agent with some nodes that create the ragdoll system.  I can't suss out how to get them into the agent that is created from the agent rop ?  

This is epic stuff tho so much control

Ragdoll is still new to me. I am not sure how to leverage that feature yet when using FBX rigs. I think some kind of bone mapping is required. But that maybe a one time setup if all your rigs use the same skeleton type.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

Yep that's what I setup in the scene I zipped up.  I did the configure joints and ragdoll thing.. set it up the once and it worked!

So my thoughts are that those nodes and setup go into the soldier_setup node that is created by the agent rop. Once in there it works with the animation clips and all this plugs into the crowd sim.

Like i say it worked just fine in my original setup but that just featured one anim clip which went to ragdoll on impact. It's cool. It'd just be nice to utilise the setup you done in your file and then get the ragdoll in too.

I'lI'll share a vid clip tomorrow I'm super chuffed with how promising it is already.

7 hours ago, anthonymcgrath said:

what i dont understand is that if i drop a geo node down, dive in and add an agent sop and set that to fbx and point it at a file it seems to visualise fine overall ?  whats different from that vs the fbx import option from the file menu ?

The File > FBX Import option doesn't do units conversion, unlike the Agent SOP. Houdini traditionally is pretty unit-less so things like the SOP / OBJ contexts don't care as long as you're consistent. For dynamics, units really do matter there so the Agent SOP ensures that units are converted when you import so that the crowd sims, rag dolls, etc. work properly.

The recommended route is to import FBX rigs via the Agent SOP. Then you can bake it out into agent definition files using the Agent ROP (output node) using the Agent SOP as the source.

8 hours ago, Atom said:

I tried out your new FBX set and much better I was able to use the three states to create a simple seek goal and stop once the goal is reached. Check out the attached ZIP file.

The agents start off in the panic state. After 2 seconds they transition into walk which gives them a goal. Each frame the PopWrangle examines and updates the distance between the agent position and the goal position. The CrowdTrigger looks at the distance for a given agent and if it is less than 1 then the agent transitions from walk to idle. Notice that I also put a PopWrangle on the idle chain and set the velocity to 0 to make sure that the agent stays stopped once it reaches a goal.

NOTE: The scatter1 count must be equal to the agent count so each agent will always have a goal point to seek.

crowd_example_seek_goal_stop.zip

agent_seek_goal.gif

@Atom this is working a treat my side wow! :)

@Atom just to add the tarzan_setup agent you created in that scene had three nodes... agent... agentprep and a null OUT

i simply connected up th agent collision layer and the configure node and then moved the null to the end and they now ragdoll using the trigger node!  obviously i've had to setup that col layer and configure which was a bit of trial and error for this guy.

prep.JPG

then in the crowd sim i duplicated the idle state, renamed to ragdoll and set it to active...

rag.JPG

and now they walk to the goal and ragdoll which i just adjusted the trigger node to switch from walk to ragdoll when they reach their goal.

only issue i have now is the characters seem to move up and down as ragdolls are in the way so bit puzzled how to stop that really.  Its like a particle hits another one and is deflected upwards or down..

ragdolls.JPG

EDIT - to stop them moving up and down simply go to your crowdsolver.... into the particle motion tab and turn ON "project forces" - bosh!!!  job done :)

Edited by anthonymcgrath
adding tip on how to fix the up/down movement
  • Like 2

@Atom @edward - oh got another question - your imports of my character fbx files dont seem to have the joint under his mesh - when i import the fbx i get the joint and an annoying circle for some reason.  How are you eliminating these?

*EDIT* - lol you've simply switched the visibility off on them hehe :)

sorry for all the questions!  but really grateful for you guys help thankyou!  :D

attached a pic to show you guys my settings with import filmbox fbx
fbxImportsettings.JPG

Edited by anthonymcgrath

On 1/18/2017 at 5:18 AM, anthonymcgrath said:

@Atomis is a daft one but how did you make that cute little gif lol!  Was it a flip book exported then run thru giffy or something?  Everyone seems to be able to do this easily on the Web now but I can't suss it haha!

I think there's tonnes of screen capture programs out there that save to .gif. I'm on Windows and like to use LICEcap.

• Like 1