Ot: Dmconvert For Linux?

Guest xionmark

Guest xionmark

Hello,

I know this is off topic but I've done a bunch of Googles and came up short so I thought I'd consult the odforce oracle ...

Is there an similar type of application in Linux land for the IRIX "dmconvert" utility?

We need to do simple audio file manipulations and am finding the standard Linux audio tools to be very limited.

I'd rather not write my own application ... anyone know of something like good ol' dmconvert?

It'd be nice to use it to do all the great things with image and movie files it can do, but the immeadiate need is for simple audio file concatenation, sample rate conversions, etc.

--Mark

Guest xionmark

Hi,

Thanks for the links. sox has been around for a while but it still looks pretty limited at least with the version that came with Fedora Core 2.

I'll check out audacity, glame and muse. from the web they look promising (I didn't think to check sourceforge) I'll check them out tomorrow. I like the way they describe glame, "Glame is targeted to be the GIMP for audio processing", sounds great to me! I know it won't replace my beloved Digital Performer and Pro Tools rig but when you're on Linux, it's tough to do pro audio recording.

Thanks guys, sorry for the OT thread.

Many beers! :-)

--Mark

Guest xionmark

Ah, gee wiz, what a dork I am sometimes ...

csound would do all I was needing to this utility to do and so much more!

Now one would think I would have thought of that right away considering I wrote a CHOP to output csound score files from Houdiini ...

One would think ...

For reference:

http://www.csounds.com/

http://digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/csound/index.html

More beers!!! :blink:

--Mark