Butachan

https://vimeo.com/188376689

Hi guys, I posted this on the SideFx forums but I also wanted to share it here...

Basically, after the webinar on particles I felt inspired on creating my own galaxy system. The objective I put my self was to create a space opera style looking galaxy. But the real aim was to create the working forces behind it. Basically a system that can define the sun or suns, the initial speed of the traveling space objects and the gravitational pull forces affecting all of them.  Also I added a particle absorb relationship, some big particles will gradually absorb the mass and size of the smaller ones, making themselfs more massive and bigger.

I feel there are some quirks to polish but overall the core of the system is already there. Everything is based on real physics, or as close as I could get without making it super heavy. And indeed the results varies dramatically (in a good way) acording to the parameters input on to the forces, basically mass of the sun, of the debris around, distances, and initial speed.

It was a fun excersice! maybe I will revisit it one day.

• Like 5

looks cool :),

just one note, what your showing looks more like a star system (solar system) than a galaxy.

Planet System: Planet + orbiting moons

Star System: Star + orbiting Planets

Galaxy: Black hole + orbiting Stars (this definition is the most common one, but can there are more)

Universe: Everything

21 minutes ago, acey195 said:

looks cool :),

just one note, what your showing looks more like a star system (solar system) than a galaxy.

Hehe, Thanks.

And someone else mention the same thing in the sideFx Forums (LOL) I will have in mind my definitions next time ^_^.  For now I was concentrated in practicing the forces and interaction between particles.

52 minutes ago, eetu said:

Cool stuff!

Did you just brute force and calculate all particle-particle force pairs, or did you optimize it somehow? Distance cutoff or bucketing of some sort or something else?

Thanks! I calculate the gravity pull for all particles in relation to the sun, but I optimize the force each particle exert to each other based on distance and max number of particles (pcopen). I also added to this force a chance for the particles to absorb each other based on their scale when they touch.... gaining and losing scale and mass appropriately. which in turn affect the force it exerts on other particles...this is actually where the sim became interesting  because a changes on this values produces quite different results and looks, I also think this is the part that could be polished the most. I actually made the distance exponent in the gravity force exposed and you can get quite interesting results playing with it.

45 minutes ago, eetu said:

Cool, do you have any other tests to show, e.g. with different parameters?

I tried to do similar stuff, with a volume acceleration structure, but didn't get anything that pretty out of it.. :)

Sorry Eetu, I didn't really save any tests. However the sims are fast so I will put something together and render a flip-book and PM you some drafts. Though I will probably not use as many particles as the vid sim, but forgive me if it take me a while (quite busy at work now). Also this was mostly for practicing particle forces creations so I kind of want to move on to the next experiment  :P I was very inspired by a speaker from animal logic. The volume acceleration structure sounds very interesting. But I really just used point cloud system the same way pop-interact does it.

By the way I just saw your lab, very interesting stuff in there....I see post like your lab and it makes me want to play more and more with houdini. :D