Custom Group SOP in VEX

Jero3d

Hi guys, here are the files I used for the last Vancouver Houdini User Group in case anyone wants to take a look. My presentation was about writing the Group SOP in VEX and trying to optimize it. I wrote everything in a wrangle, and it works great as a preset in a point/prim wrangle. I also made a Digital Asset, although it's not a VEX operator because I couldn't figure out how to make it work purely in VEX because I need to use the group bindings from the Wrangle and I'm not sure how to implement that in VEX. Anyways, the OTL is just the wrangle with the parameters promoted.

In the presentation file you can take a look at the speed tests of the Group VEX vs the Group SOP. The difference in performance is pretty similar if you have a few points/prims, but once you go above 1 million the performance difference really starts to kick in. The Group VEX becomes exponentially faster than the Group SOP the more points you have. The difference can really be seen when you group by object and when you group by volume. I also made those 2 modes work with primitives.

Here are the files in case anyone wants to take a look at the code. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

group_vex_jeronimo_maggi.hipnc

vhug_presentation_jeronimo_maggi.hipnc

group_vex_jm.hdanc

custom_group_sop.vfl

• Like 6