Flip Sink Gradient

breadbox

I created a sink volume from an object using the shelf tool, it seems to remove the particles from the Flip simulation, but its a very sharp hard line border on the edge of the sink volume. 

Is there a way to make the sink volume with more gradual falloff, so it doesn't look so cookie cut?  

Here is a picture describing the situation. 

The particles clip abruptly at the boundary of the sink volume. What would be nice is if the particles would continue but slowly die off into the center of the sink volume.  Maybe similar to how an SDF works where the value gets stronger as you go deeper into the volume. 

Flip_mockup.jpg

Navneet I'm not sure I understand what you mean?  as a post action outside of DOP's do the DeleteSOP?

Maybe this was a dumb question? I'm surprised no one has answered, but maybe its obvious and I just don't understand how the sink force works?

Id like a smooth gradient of falloff on the clip edge so it looks nice an organic rather than a cookie cutter clip, whats the best way to achieve that?

Thank you for the example Deviner.

I was hoping to do this more withing the DOP network (with sink?) so that the sim could more organically die out in certain regions controlled by voluemes, because it will be splashy so the areas that need to die down are more organically shaped, not really a straight line.

• 1 year later...

Have you considered ramping pscale down with a sop solver for a particular height/region first rather than deleting outright?  I don't have time to run a quick test right now, but reducing pscale will break up the fluid surface and possibly give a decent/natural organic result.

On 2/28/2018 at 7:47 PM, ryew said:

Have you considered ramping pscale down with a sop solver for a particular height/region first rather than deleting outright?  I don't have time to run a quick test right now, but reducing pscale will break up the fluid surface and possibly give a decent/natural organic result.

Definively interesting and logic idea. Pardom me for your young experience, how will this sop solver will look like ? i miss some previous to know how to implement this correctly in houdini even if the concept is quite clear

Cheers guys