Cloth

Stremik

I meant dynamics, but just now I've realised that would mean to write full featured cloth simulation plug-in with all the features like friction, elastisity,

prevention of self intrsection,interaction with other objects and forces like wind, gravity etc.TO MUCH HASSLE!I'm not even shure if VEX is the right tool to do that.

Without a doubt you could get some kind of flappy material using VEX. You could varying the effect of the flapping by some attribute you could paint on with the Paint SOP. I've never done it, but a flapping shirt or something may be easy enough. True cloth sim could never be done in VEX :(

Some kind of noise displacement projected along a wind vector combined with ripples could make a nice shirt flapping, perhaps. That'd be a challenge! :rolleyes:

Later,

The Kind Tapir

• 3 weeks later...
Without a doubt you could get some kind of flappy material using VEX. You could varying the effect of the flapping by some attribute you could paint on with the Paint SOP. I've never done it, but a flapping shirt or something may be easy enough. True cloth sim could never be done in VEX :(

Some kind of noise displacement projected along a wind vector combined with ripples could make a nice shirt flapping, perhaps. That'd be a challenge! :rolleyes:

Later,

The Kind Tapir

VEX isn't capable of it? Isn't there another method of acchieving this in Houdini?

Anyways, will Houdini 5.5 feature cloth simulation?

Anyways, will Houdini 5.5 feature cloth simulation?

No. But you get VOPs, tho. :D

VOP is REALLY AWESOME (if you know VEX)!!

Heh, well actually I am still in the process of learning Houdini (including VEX). So far, I must say, I really like it! Houdini is a truly amazing program.

Oh and, what does VOP stand for?

I don't think it's revolutionary but it's definitely cool. You're not limited to shaders with VOPs, you can use VOPS to write SOPs, POPs, COPs, CHOPs, etc.

So by just looking at using VOPs to write a VEX SOP, I haven't seen anybody else offer a graphical node-based approach to creating your own custom geometry modifier without scripting. I may be wrong but same goes for particle modifiers, pixel modifiers, channel modifiers, etc.

I don't think it's revolutionary but it's definitely cool. You're not limited to shaders with VOPs, you can use VOPS to write SOPs, POPs, COPs, CHOPs, etc.

So by just looking at using VOPs to write a VEX SOP, I haven't seen anybody else offer a graphical node-based approach to creating your own custom geometry modifier without scripting. I may be wrong but same goes for particle modifiers, pixel modifiers, channel modifiers, etc.

Oh, I see now. (Actually, it's just what I suspected you could do with VOPs.)

And will it make you able to control operators, parameters (etc.) with colors, ramps, textures (etc.), just like in Maya?

You can do a lot more than in Maya, because you are not limited in only using predefined "building blocks".

As an example for COP's , you are able to make all "photoshop-layer-functions" like screen, overlay, burn .... in about minutes. :D

Thats right!

Actually it'd be great if someone wrote a complete "photoshop compositing op" in VOPs for everyone..

I thought of doing this but I just don't have the time lately. Anyone up to it?  There is an article explaining the math for you too. Over here!

Great tips! I also love that site. So thanks for sharing!

Pity though they didn't cover the dodge and burn Photoshop layer fuctions. (Probably because they are more complex).

I seem to recall reading about what the dodge & burn functions did in some photoshop book.

I understand what the actual blending (transfer) modes do. But I just don't know, or knew, the math behind it. Now I do, except of the dodge and burn blending modes, which aren't described on the page of Jason's link.