quick question - how do i stop voronoi fracture from creating big fat shapes

anthonymcgrath

hi everyone this is a quick question - i've setup a simulation where i'm pushing an (animated) bullet through an hourglass.  yep i'm that cliche lol!

anyway i've just a simple attribute transfer using a box with the geo.  The voronoi fracture uses Cd ..simple enough. frac01.JPG

however i seem to have a frustrating issue at the bottom - there are a few huge ugly chunks.  Is it not possible to merge these or just tell houdini to create one piece at the bottom?  I'm really stuck for a way to do this outside of creating a 'cut' version of the geometry :/  anyone got any ideas?

thanks
ant
frac02.JPG

some ways to solve this would be either gluing the larger pieces together in the simulation, or using "active" attribute to not sim them at all

it is not exactly what you want to do, but it does the trick

Edited by celd

thanks @celd  - yeah if i can i'd still like to keep them active so theresa  little motion to the lower half.  Heres' how i'm looking right now.  I already have a glue network in the sim so i can create another one and just stick those two pieces together?

It seems a bit counter-intuitive to the procedural workflow to my mind mainly because if the pieces change (and they will in a bit when i add more chunks) then i'm left with the task of possibly trying to keep re-entering names of chunks to glue together i think?

bullet.JPG

1 minute ago, Atom said:

Simply delete the portion you want to be one piece before you fracture it. Remove it from fracturing consideration to start with then merge it back in as a collision object.

right gotcha so create some sort of geo and use cookie to create an upper chunk that i will fracture and then the lower parts are not fractured?

okay so i have used the cookie sop to create the part i want to fracture and another cookie to create the outer part.

however dops seems to treat that un fractured part as one piece - how can i separate this into two chunks and merge it back in so they simulate as two separate pieces ?  will the usual connectivity/partition with $CLASS work here ?

frac.JPG

Edited by anthonymcgrath