Models In Houdini

lanchka

Hi I am 15 years old and here is my first go at a character and done in houdini apprentice and rendered in a friend's copy of max(man I wish houdini was as popular as max).After dabbling for a few months in houdini ,my first 3d app,I decided that the best way to learn something is to explore and here are the results.The renders are done in max as there is a limit on resolution in apprentice.(Just wanted big pictures.).When i finish this one will post pics rendered in houdini.Oh and as a second thought I will post some other models....A face and a space ship I modelled sometime ago...

To Do:

1)Add some details and maybe come up with a head of some sort....

2)Texture It procedurally..(I will have to take a look at the snail texturing tutorial .The ability to paint attributes to determine bumping etc seems exciting.)

3)Rig the character.(Are there any tuts on rigging an entire character?)

4)Learn Houdini !

Please tell me what You guys think about the models.Anything you like specifically,anything to improve and so on

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Lanchka

post-796-1116905653_thumb.jpg

post-796-1116905711_thumb.jpg

post-796-1116905730_thumb.jpg

post-796-1116905741_thumb.jpg

post-796-1116905751_thumb.jpg

post-796-1116905765_thumb.jpg

Nice stuff! I might be able to help you out with a rigging tutorial. I wrote a very detailed one for the character in my own WIP project (see the post entitled Monkey Rig and check out the video link I posted today). If you think a tutorial for rigging something like this is what you need, let me know. I need to do a bit of editing but it was my intention to publish it online eventually.

Hi

Yes a tutorial would be really helpful..thanks.(those that I have seen show only the arm setup and so on.

The animation is very good but the hair gets too blurred when its moving ... imho(could be the lower resolution of the video).

Hey Man,

Nice work for your first time particularly since you are learning on Houdini which is probably the most complex 3D App out there but also most powerful. Your characters body is pretty good. The head needs more work and so does the spaceship. Try modeling the spaceship in parts and do whats called micro-beveling on it to give your spaceship hard edges. You just kind of spilt along the current edges in order to get a sharp edge on the surface when it subdivdes. Can you show wire frames of your model so we can see the topology of the models. We can give you pointers on things to that you did well and things that you can do better if we see it.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

Edited because my fingers were rebelling when I was typing this message. lol

quickest way to do it is turn on wireframe over shaded mode in the viewport.. then do a flipbook render for one frame.. then save that from mplay however you want.. that or you could do a screengrab..whichever..

Hey looking good, I think the anatomy on the character needs work, maybe try and find more reference material. Still like it though.

Houdini for a first 3d app hehe. :ph34r: Well I think in the long-run it's a great decision, plus you have lots of time to learn.

Hey Lanchka,

Don't worry man your not the youngest one here Dave is. I mean just look at his picture. Thats his real picture. lol Dave is a baby genius and he is really good with Houdini. We like to call him brain child at times but he does not like the reference to child because he is a big boy. lol

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

:);)

Nate you couldnt know how much your answer further up helped me.

i used to polysplit to cut in details for subdividing... but bevelling produces so much lighter meshes and actually nicer edges - and you can easily adjust the hardness of the edge by adjusting the bevel size. its also contained in one nice OP rather than a heap of splits. easy as.

ive already resurrected an old project with new found inspiration ;) will make a WIP thread soon. such a simple concept why didnt i think of it before!

Hey Mark,

There are alot of tricks like that. I will try to include them all in my first set of houndini training videos. Beveling works in some cases and spliting works in others. It depends on the shapes you are trying to get. Anyhow I hope that little bit of info helps. :);)

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

Nate you couldnt know how much your answer further up helped me.

i used to polysplit to cut in details for subdividing... but bevelling produces so much lighter meshes and actually nicer edges - and you can easily adjust the hardness of the edge by adjusting the bevel size.  its also contained in one nice OP rather than a heap of splits. easy as.

ive already resurrected an old project with new found inspiration ;)  will make a WIP thread soon.  such a simple concept why didnt i think of it before!

thanks  :)

18467[/snapback]