Temp files fill my main disk

Federico

Hi everyone! I'm having a problem with one of my simulations, it already happened in the past but this time i cannot see a solution. Basically, during the process of caching the simulation, the main hard disk (a small ssd with windows) get filled after a couple of frames by temp files. I already setted a custom environment variable for the temp folder but houdini only put little temp files there and not the big ones generated by a simulation. I'm forced to increase the division value of my flip fluid, or there is a way to store the temp files in another folder instead of "C"? I forgot to say that i'm saving the simulation with the "compressed cache" node and not the "import flattank" node.Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

Attached the image of my shell and the dop which i use to save a sim files every 100 frames in case of crash.

temp.png

dop.png

39 minutes ago, Federico said:

I'm forced to increase the division value of my flip fluid, or there is a way to store the temp files in another folder instead of "C"? I forgot to say that i'm saving the simulation with the "compressed cache" node and not the "import flattank" node.

And where does those files go? If you haven't changed the filepath I think it saves under $HIP by default; so if you have your .hip saved on C it will point to C.

2 hours ago, Skybar said:

And where does those files go? If you haven't changed the filepath I think it saves under $HIP by default; so if you have your .hip saved on C it will point to C.

Thanks for the reply, if you mean the path of the "compressed cache" node it leads to a folder on another hard disk (H). To avoid any problems i tend to avoid the use of $HIP and i select manually the path.

Edit: i have managed to narrow down the temp files location on C:/user/username  then the size of the folders don't change anymore, and it makes me impossible to follow the track. I have the unhidden option for the folders. I will probably have to work with a smaller simulation (division wise) or maybe i could try with linux.

Edited by Federico

17 hours ago, Federico said:

Thanks for the reply, if you mean the path of the "compressed cache" node it leads to a folder on another hard disk (H). To avoid any problems i tend to avoid the use of $HIP and i select manually the path.

Edit: i have managed to narrow down the temp files location on C:/user/username  then the size of the folders don't change anymore, and it makes me impossible to follow the track. I have the unhidden option for the folders. I will probably have to work with a smaller simulation (division wise) or maybe i could try with linux.

What are the actual files called?

11 hours ago, Skybar said:

What are the actual files called?

Resolved the issue, i had to work with the file paging of windows. Removing the main disk from the list of the available HDD for the virtual memory and setting another one of my choice. I didn't check it at first because the ram never went over the 90% of the max ram available.