Electrical Effects

Jon

Any ideas on this or other suggestions on how I might achieve the effect would be much appreciated.

cheers,

Jon

18446[/snapback]

hey

theres a tut on the older houdini help files, (pdf)

they talk about using lsystems in a simliar way to how u want to use them,

ive tried to take a look for u, but i have no idea where i got it from.

can anyone remember what im talking about?

it had something to do with the rail sop :ph34r:

hope this helps

all the best

aracid :blink:

• 2 months later...
Thanks for pointing out that tutorial, looks like it could be quite useful.  I'll have a go at working through it.

cheers,

Jon

18470[/snapback]

a way i have been playing with recently is pretty simple yet effective. make a popnet, put down a location (or a source) pop, then add a force.

make the direction of the force a signed random based on $ID/PT, same with amplitude and frequency of the noise. you get particles flipping out all over now.

the fun part is adding a split pop that makes trails behind those, you get a nice electricty-like effect. for your purposes, i would use a per-point attractor to get the intial particles to go where they need to go. if you want the electricty to branch, add a split pop before the main split with randomized direction and low probability, it will shear off particles that then get trailed.

as for rendering it, i have not gotten that far, i will prolly end up grouping by color and building curves on the particles which are then skinned or something.