Imorting OBj houdini indi

bonassus

I'm having trouble importing .obj files into Houdini. 90% of the time it doesn't work and the file node will say "unable to read file". I have tried checking the mesh in modo and running a mesh cleanup, exporting another .obj. But these files don't import into Houdini either. I have been opening the obj files in Modo and saving them as an alembic which Houdini doesn't have a problem opening. I'm wondering what is wrong here. I'm running an indie license but I don't think there are import restrictions. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to prepare the .obj file for import?

thanks

So humor me on this...I see you have some spaces in your file path (3d models, DOSCH 3D - Animals). Get rid of the spaces in your file name or just move that obj over to a temp directory that doesn't have any spaces in the file path. See if that works...I have had instances where it would error out with spaces in the file path.

YES! And, i feel dumb. I moved a few files to the desktop and the they all import. Not all of them have spaces in the file path. But some had some other characters in the path that I guess don't work with Houdini. 

I just need to clean up my screwy file paths. 

Thank you very much for your help.