FRACTURE DRIVE BY PARTICLE

anto187

Hehe, looking through your setup, I can't really determine what you're trying to do, but if this is about controlling fragments as if they were particles, you can do that directly using POP forces with packed prims using the RigidBodySolver. :)

track.gif

I couldn't find the scene file for the setup in the gif above, but it was setup like in the scene file below. :) 

bullet.pop.forces.hiplc

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Farmfield said:

Hehe, looking through your setup, I can't really determine what you're trying to do, but if this is about controlling fragments as if they were particles, you can do that directly using POP forces with packed prims using the RigidBodySolver. :)

track.gif

I couldn't find the scene file for the setup in the gif above, but it was setup like in the scene file below. :) 

bullet.pop.forces.hiplc

thanks for hip,

yes i want to achieve fragments blow by wind of some force with scaling to dissapear at @age > 0.8 or above, but i dont know how to use pscale by age on bullet , cloth or spring

so i convert fragments into prim point, then converted to particle, then drive back using primitive node.

so i endup with my setup.

if there's any simplified setup or the correct way, i'm very pleased to see

Edited by anto187

Creating age is simple, you can do that in a SOP solver in DOPs using a wrangle and @age += @TimeInc;

And you gotta stop thinking about this stuff as bullet or cloth, there's only particles, prims, etc, the behaviour as particles, cloth, RBD objects are calculated in the solver - but it's all the same stuff. :)

That being said, not sure why you would want age on an object unless it has a birth and death - like a particle might have - because an object which exists throughout the sim, it's age is the time.

Really cool.

And there's a thousand ways to set this kinda thing up, there really is no right or wrong, the only thing I can add from experience is, keeping it as simple as possible will make it easier to tweak - though spending to much time to simplify something takes away from the time you have to tweak it - so it's a balance.

Personally, though of course depending on how much interaction is needed, I would likely set a sim as yours up as two completely separate sims, one for the cloth, make that look like I (or the client) want it too, then do the particle disintegration - but if you have a setup with a lot (or obvious-) self collisions, there might be need to set it up to sim simultaneously - but even then, in my experience stuff like this is easier to control if run in two different DOPs and doing the interactive parts in a SOP solver in one (or both) of the DOP networks.

As an example on how I often work, this is set up using two different DOP networks running in parallel with two way interaction - or faux 2 way interaction, perhaps (?) - and you got the link to the scene file in the description... :)

Edited by Farmfield
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Farmfield said:

Really cool.

And there's a thousand ways to set this kinda thing up, there really is no right or wrong, the only thing I can add from experience is, keeping it as simple as possible will make it easier to tweak - though spending to much time to simplify something takes away from the time you have to tweak it - so it's a balance.

Personally, though of course depending on how much interaction is needed, I would likely set a sim as yours up as two completely separate sims, one for the cloth, make that look like I (or the client) want it too, then do the particle disintegration - but if you have a setup with a lot (or obvious-) self collisions, there might be need to set it up to sim simultaneously - but even then, in my experience stuff like this is easier to control if run in two different DOPs and doing the interactive parts in a SOP solver in one (or both) of the DOP networks.

As an example on how I often work, this is set up using two different DOP networks running in parallel with two way interaction - or faux 2 way interaction, perhaps (?) - and you got the link to the scene file in the description... :)

yes, this should make saparate dop as you suggest. thanks jhonny.

ill update the progress on here about my self project.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys  !

@anto187 I definitively try to achieve an effect like yours. I have rbd and cloth drived by propagation of my "active" attribute with a SOP in DOP. 
Now I want that each elements activated become particles according to their "age" of activation. For your cloth simulation, did you used @age += @TimeInc;  ? How can I set an age attribute based on the time passed from the moment when the piece was activated?

@Farmfield Seems similar to your recent dust / ash  setup no?

48 minutes ago, Arch said:

Hey guys  !

@anto187 I definitively try to achieve an effect like yours. I have rbd and cloth drived by propagation of my "active" attribute with a SOP in DOP. 
Now I want that each elements activated become particles according to their "age" of activation. For your cloth simulation, did you used @age += @TimeInc;  ? How can I set an age attribute based on the time passed from the moment when the piece was activated?

@Farmfield Seems similar to your recent dust / ash  setup no?

yes my friend, thats similiar, i helped alot from @farmfield scene file, you should gonna check it out. 

if there's any i can help for u, just bump me ok.

In DOPs and solver SOPs (which are DOPs, hehe) I usually just create some random attribute and add to it, sometimes as simple as...

if(something something) i@myage += 1;

...or alike. I think mane people get stuck trying to use stuff that's there - and if it is and you know about it, cool, but it really is as simple as setting this up purely arbitrary - though kinda depending on what you do, you might want to not stack up and pass on too much data with your geomery. Usually this isn't an issue, but if you're doing huge particle setups or FLIP fluids or something, and you have 10 random vector attributes piped into the sim, that'll quickly start eating memory if you have high point numbers - but in regard to how to control stuff, you can just make s**t up as you go along, hehe... :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your answers guys !  :D
Effectively, that was pretty simple to create my "age" attribute, I just didn't put at the right place first. All of this stuff gave me more understanding of vex.

If someone encounter issues like mine on this kind of effect, don't hesitate to ask !

Edited by Arch