Crowd Crit ?

aracid

hey all

just playing around with some crowds for a stadium WIP

what u think?

the crowd animation is baked out from XSI into obj's,

I have to make a system that calls random baked animations and random textures (cloths etc) and combine them to make it look random.

with skin tones etc :-)

crowd_testAA.jpg

crowd test quicktime

any crit is cool and appreciated

thanks to Jason and MatrixNAN3D so far 4 their help and crits ;-)

all the best

aracid :blink:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Definately looking good but for greater realism try to make it look like there is some interactivity going on in the crowd rather than everyone acting like they are on their own! For instance, take a pair of fans bake their interactive animation out and then place them side-by-side in the crowd.

- john

Hey Guys,

Well you could do a ball based off of a point constraint and then setup custom attributes per particle on the crowd agents and set it that so when the ball comes into a angle range certain animations play for reactions. You would have to have it with a conditional statement to make sure that the current animation does not end before the reaction on begins otherwise you will get jumping/poping in the animation between sequence and the next. You would also want to add a particle/point custom attribute to the ball for the state of the ball. In this attribute you could set as an interger the level of excitement that was in play then each agent particle/point would check the state of excitement of the ball to determine what level of reaction animation to cycle. Then all you would have to do is animate the ball moving back and forth and a custom OTL parameter on the Ball excitement state over a range of frames and the crowds would react accordingly. That would be a decision based structure per agent updated per frame and on 10,000 agents that could be computationally intensive. So for this project that might be more than what it is worth. Otherwise yes it is a good idea. I started something like that in my setup that I sent you Brian but I did not have time to get very far with it. Oh well it would probably take sometime to develope too but it sure would be nice and dynamic and add alot more realism to the crowd.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

hey all

thanks for the feedback and advice

my final crowd is

finalTest

basically the same system as above, but with some scripts to break up the render into smaller chunks.

all the best

and ps dont worry about the bunch of guys living on the edge, near the entarance, consider them gone :-)

hey all

thanks for the feedback and advice and double post :ph34r:

my final crowd is

finalTest low res(300K)

finalTest higher res(1400K)

basically the same system as above, but with some scripts to break up the render into smaller chunks. still going to be color corrected & some grain etc. but this is far enough for a POC :-)

all the best

and ps dont worry about the bunch of guys living on the edge, near the entarance, consider them gone :-)

Very nice aracid. Great work.

Just a slight detail: When removing the guys at the entrance, could you also remove the man on the left stairs, who puts his arm around a nonexistent person :-)

18614[/snapback]

More slight-details:

* There's a stray flag in the middle, coming out from the darkness and overlapping the upper balcony.

* It seems like there's too many people waving their arms about. That left arm punch in the air seems to be a popular move. Do people do that? Hmm, it seems to be "all the rage"... [note to self: I should get out more often.]

* Why is everyone bald? Or is is white spherical head day. Oh! They're Soccer Heads!! OK. Makes sense. :-)

* There's a few obvious repeat cycles. Two pairs of people, either side of the main doors who wave together exactly in time.

* The crowd cycles seem to all have the same period, and start at the same time so that the loops beat even though the cycles are different.

* You might consider adding some more colour variation. Just one or two strange "fluro" colours into the crowd - there's always someone wearing something a bit different. Had you considered applying some "club colours" - a football match might mean most people are wearing one of the club colours. This crowd looks fairly grey to me.

* All the motion looks like it's boiling! Is this a peak moment? Can there be too much movement?

* Everyone is standing up. Hmmm. Well. OK. Is anyone turning about? I agree that there could be more interaction between groups.

* I can't see any "normal" clapping. Like, waist-high conjoining of the hands. ya know? :-) Lots of waving though, like they want to be rescued. Hmm. Hope that doesn't sound too harsh.

hopefully that's something to think about. good stuff...

cheers,

ehrich.

hey all

thanks for all the comments, advice, and Ehrich Weiss :) with

some awesome pointers)

yes deecue, this is all comped onto a live plate

this will probibly be the last post of the crowd in this thread

so here it is :-)

post-585-1118314678_thumb.jpg

or a higher res version

higher res image

and a little clip of the above :-)