Problem Rendering Multiple Output Nodes With Takes

Hi all,

I'm trying to render to several outputs at the same time, and perform multiple takes on those outputs. In the example scene shows more clearly what I mean, I have two sub-takes (each shows a different primitive), and a Wedge node that is set to render both of these takes. In the /out you will see a Wren node plugged into a Mantra node, the idea being that if I set the Wedge node to render using the Mantra node as an output driver, the Wren node that is connected into it should also render. But it renders using the wrong take. If you open the attached file and click on 'Render Wedges' of the /out/wedge1 node it should render the Wren node, then the Mantra node to MPlay. You can see that the Wren node always renders the same output.

I see in the documentation there are instructions on how to wire up multiple nodes to make them all render in sequence, but this doesn't seem to work at all where takes are concerned. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Wedge.hipnc

Edited by Anti-Distinctlyminty

Hi, 

If you want to chain multiple renderers such that each one renders different objects (I think takes as well), you can do it in two different ways:

-connect the output of each render to the input of the second one and render the last one (basically, you are introducing dependency in "out" network, i.e. renderer A depends on B, then if you click on render B, Houdini will automatically render A). In each renderer, you can specify any parameters...

-use merge node and connect all the output of the renderers to the input of merge node (all this is done in "out" network). This way, when you click on "Render" on merge, all render nodes will run. Note, if you do this way, then all nodes will render Frame 1 and when they are done they will all render Frame 2 and so on, while as in the previous method, the first rendering node will render ALL frames then the second render node will start...

Yeah, this is what is supposed to happen, but you can see from the hip file that this does not happen in this case. The Wren node is connected into the Mantra node. The Wedge is set to use this Mantra node, so it should render the connected Wren node, but it renders the same thing, over and over.

I think this has to be a bug, but currently I cannot get through to the bug database at www.service.sidefx.com, it just says 'ERROR: The php get_magic_quotes_gpc option must be turned on.'

Any suggestions would be useful.