Hi,

I'm new here, and to Houdini.

I've modeled a simple character and rigged him but I can't translate or scale him except by his root null otherwise his skin goes crazy.  I've attached the HIP file.  I'm sure the fix is simple but its eluding me. Any help is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 12.36.41 PM.png

after scaling:

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 12.36.52 PM.png

guy 3d for od force.hip

Thanks.

Sorry, don't have time to start up Houdini much outside of work anymore. It looks like you re-captured (ie. regenerated the weights) after scaling your skeleton without scaling your geometry to match? Double-check your capture pose (main menu > Edit > Objects > Capture Pose). If you don't have any painted weights, I would probably just add a Transform SOP (at the geometry level) to scale up your geometry and then move all the joints to match again. Scaling objects is generally very messy unless you know what you're doing (and even then).

• Like 1

Thanks Edward, you provided the key I needed to fix it.  When I had the capturing in the same subnet as the rig everything got scrambled.  Fixing was as simple as moving the nodes where the capturing occurred and pasting them outside of that subnet.  

It makes sense now that its fixed: I never want capturing to be moved or scaled once its set, particularly if the capture weights are based on distance from the bones, like it is here.  Only the rig should be moved.  Painted capture weights might not have this problem.