PxrOSL, ris_oslshader, how to use them?

violalyu

Hi everyone!

I was trying to see how OSL works in houdini, and there's pxrOSL and ris_oslShader in the RIS NET, and this is what I did for testing purpose, it doesn't seems to work. I did bind export in the ris_oslShader and exported a const color red, referenced it in PxrOSL and wired the result into pxrDisney, but the base color didn't change. Has anyone tried these nodes yet? Please advice, thanks a lot!!!

Screenshot.png

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

You might have seen it already, but this example file from SideFX shows how it works pretty reasonably.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/vop/ris_OSLshader.html

As far as I learned from my experiment, when you put a parameter for exporting, like using "Always" or "When Input is Connected", you can't change the default value on the exposed parameter for this.
As soon as you change the default value, somehow the OSL network becomes invalid.

For the Pxr OSL node, I tested with some compiled OSL shaders, but never made it happen... Even though this shader works with Renderman in Maya.

Edited by teddy8193