Record Time Scrubbing (DJ Style Animation Sequence)?

Atom

Hi All,

I have a geometry sequence of a dancing character. I can scrub forward and backwards through the sequence in near real time. I like that kind of look and I wondered if there is a way to record my scrubbing of time into an attribute that changes over time?

After recording the scrub I could then use the attribute to drive the frame number of the sequence to load.

Is this possible in Houdini? I know After Effects has a similar control for recording the mouse into keyframes.

Thanks for the tips, I have come up with a CHOP solution that I think will work.

Locate a series of sequential frames in the timeline that you like, in my case it was frames 710-1410.

Create a CHOPs waveform in the form of a ramp with an amplitude equal to the number of frames, in my case 700.

Drop down a noise and a warp node in stretch mode. Ramp on left and noise on right.

This produces a pseudo random output in the range of 0-700.

Drop down a math node to map that range into the original preferred range, in my case 710-1410.

Now, anywhere along the time line I can get a ramp based random number between 710-1410. Because I am using this output as a frame number to drive my character when the noise goes negative time flows backwards for my animated character.

Untitled-1.jpg

time_character.gif

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1