another quick crowd question - how to stop them bunching up?

anthonymcgrath

quick one this and i cant seem to get it working.. got a crowd system giong - i have my characters run towards cam and as they get close to an object they stop and transition to an arms up movemnt.  it seems to work...
crowd.JPG

but my prob is they seem to pile into one another in one big mush instead of giving each other some personal space lol!
idiots.JPG

there is an option in the crowdsolver which i thought would work as essnetially they are all particles but annoyingly they dont... does anyone have any ideas on doing this?
mult.JPG

In my experience you can't rely on the built-in separation tools. You need to give each agent a unique goal in the form of it's own custom goal location attribute. If all agents are seeking the same exact point there is not a lot the internal system can do to keep them apart. Consider using a PointReplicate, with a number count equal to the agent count, on the initial goal location to create a series of points surrounding that location. Then assign each agent a goal location from that point replication pool of points. Then each agent will not be seeking the same EXACT location. This location variation will help the separation tools work better.

I have posted an example setup of assigning a goal location for each agent in this thread. The new custom attribute assignment is done in an AttributeWrangle in the CrowdSource network.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

@atom thanks yep i downloaded that scene and took a look at it but the wrangle codes just boggled my mind as i'm afraid i'm really not that clued up on those yet (i'm trying!).

at the moment my setup is quite simple in that i have my character who runs through the crowd -  constrained a ball to him and now the crowd are trying to follow that so in effect that follow my character (just an alembic export from maya brought into my scene) or at least aim for him.

its a shame the scale mult doesn't work tho to keep them apart sadly - i tried using proximity in a trigger too but it didn't seem to do much.

I'll have a plough through your scene again tho and see if i can get some better understanding on it thanks!