RBD to unreal

aracid

Hey all

Could anyone point me in the direction to get a rigid body sim into UE4,

I've got the Sim (it can be super simple) and I'd prefer FBX.

Ideally I don't want deforming geo.

The closest I've found is this workflow but it seems like the code isn't maintained. (This isn't mine)

LINK 

https://vimeo.com/124874315

https://www.orbolt.com/asset/LaidlawFX::RBDFBXExport::1.0

I wanted to know if there's something I'm missing.

Thanks once again in advance.

Brian

Edited by aracid

You can still use the method in that video. Used it recently and it worked fine.You have to use packed geo and select the rbd packed object in dops before pressing the shelf button for exporting that comes with the whole package. That was the only way I could get it to export. Whether or not it is the best way, I am not sure. I haven't used Laidlaws FBX exporter but, the interface looks a bit cleaner so it may be worth a shot. Also, I think h16 may come with more game development friendly tools so I would be on the lookout for that in the next couple of weeks. 

Feel free to hassle me anytime with my tools. ;) 

I pinged you via the Orbolt pm already, but I'll reply here, too. The example file will be live once approved by Orbolt, apologies that wasn't submitted initially it slipped through the cracks. I've attached it here, but accordingly the tool isn't applied after the black null sop labeled OUT, in the /obj/inHere_RBDFBXExport-Example geometry node. RBDFBXExport_Odforce.hip

This method uses the name attribute created by the assemble sop or via the voronoi fracture, and plus the rest attribute created by the rest sop at the sop level. For each one of these names it will extract the difference from the rest state and the current position. It assumes you have a rest and name attribute baked into your geometry already as with normal DOPs workflow as it creates significantly faster export times.

This is not an object or rop/out based tool, but completely from within sops, so be aware of that. It handles all those operations internally via scripts so all you have to do is press export.

One thing to note with any FBX sequence export always test with a short frame range and a few number of pieces to ensure that the export works, prior to exporting a large sequence with many pieces. FBX by it's nature needs to compile everything into memory before it write's out the file unlike Alembic and bgeo for instance which each do it frame by frame. This make is appear as it has hung while it writes it out. 

Hey Everyone

I found this video really interesting focusing on some interesting H16 release features. 

SideFX Houdini UE4 Plugin | Developer Interview | Unreal Engine

How to take advantage of textures in the vertex shader

Looking back at the videos from Steven Burrichter, all the required information is inside the otls shipped with his release.

Thanks for the tips guys. 

Brian

Edited by aracid

My version 3 went live, you need to download the new one for the updated options, however...

Found via the MMB Error: on the FBX ROP in Apprentice that the, FBX Exporter is only supported in Houdini and Houdini FX version.

FilmBoxError.png

So my hack fix has been un-hacked via licensing.

So an important note if you are learning Houdini for Games(or any thing really) and you want to do FBX Exports, you can not use Apprentice. :( 

Houdini Indie is the lowest priced version at $199 usd.

https://www.sidefx.com/products/houdini-indie/