Houdini 17 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

Hello , here are my wishes for 17.0 ;

I would like to have more modelling tools (inspired from my 3ds max experience)

-Some preview handle to manipulate bezier curve (i don't know if it's possible with the order parameter) but it will be easier to construct shape with smooth and hard angles and also with bezier surface
(i miss the 3ds max patch tool ...i think it's great to produce stylized shapes)

-A polysplit edge loop or insert loop that respect curvature (like in 3ds max)

-and also a make circle that respect curvature

• Like 1

Two buttons on each help page: Typo and Inaccurate, similar to the ❤️ button. You click the button and can highlight the text that is a typo or incorrect. Click the button again and the page submits it to the Docs team, effectively making all of us proofreaders. You could go all out and have a little comment box pop up too. 

Being too lazy to file a bug report unless things are crashing, I never do for typos or inaccuracies in the docs, which aren’t often in Houdini’s docs, but sometimes things change over versions and a line or two of a doc is made inaccurate, but would if it were just a click or two.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

In the Network Editor ... please give us option to "Don't edit name of the node by simple LMB onto its label".

Does it happen to you too? Accidentally editing the name? To me, too often :) I would like to start LMB click/drag even on the label.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ikoon said:

In the Network Editor ... please give us option to "Don't edit name of the node by simple LMB onto its label".

Does it happen to you too? Accidentally editing the name? To me, too often :) I would like to start LMB click/drag even on the label.

I actually like this idea a lot... certainly not as a default when your building out new scenes and such and constantly editing. But certainly when dealing with near final complex scenes or doing cleanup work I run into this often. 

1 minute ago, LaidlawFX said:

I actually like this idea a lot... certainly not as a default when your building out new scenes and such and constantly editing. But certainly when dealing with near final complex scenes or doing cleanup work I run into this often. 

I think it's a part of the more generic problem of H. UI. In many cases houdini reacting to "mouse-button-down" / "key-press" immediately unlike most of other software's where command is executed after complete event (key down ... key up). It's sometimes a problem in the viewport as well. 

As in the picture: If the cursor hovers over a pane, which is alone, so there is nowhere to Ctrl-Tab... then the Ctrl-Tab hotkey will swap between parm interface folders.

OR

Another simpler detection of „hover over folders" + ctrl+tab --------> swap parm folders.

swap folders.PNG

if I heard it correctly at the Sydney Sidefx presentation H17 will be released around Sept, also there is some nice work done on the muscles that might be available in some months. Had to leave early so probably missed a ton of stuff too.

On 24/02/2018 at 11:29 AM, marty said:

if I heard it correctly at the Sydney Sidefx presentation H17 will be released around Sept, also there is some nice work done on the muscles that might be available in some months. Had to leave early so probably missed a ton of stuff too.

Say what ? I was under the impression it was 'in a couple of months time' or 'two months time' for Houdini 17. I didn't hear anything about a September 2018 launch date.

6 hours ago, nisachar said:

Say what ? I was under the impression it was 'in a couple of months time' or 'two months time' for Houdini 17. I didn't hear anything about a September 2018 launch date.

Well, I believe they gonna announce and showcase H17 in a month or two, but it's gonna take months between the presentation and public release. So, July-Septemer 

• 2 weeks later...

Having a VEX command to query u coord of a point on a curve directly would be great.

f@u = ucoord(0,@P);

The best option in vex is still :

// Run Over -> Points
int prim;
vector uv;
xyzdist(0, @P, prim, uv);

int mode = 4; // PRIMUV_UNIT_TO_UNITLEN
u@uv_profile = primuvconvert(@OpInput1, set(uv.x, 0.0), prim, mode)

vex_command_u_coord.hiplc

Edited by sebkaine

1 hour ago, sebkaine said:

Having a VEX command to query u coord of a point on a curve directly would be great.

f@u = ucoord(0,@P);

The best option in vex is still :

// Run Over -> Points
int prim;
vector uv;
xyzdist(0, @P, prim, uv);

int mode = 4; // PRIMUV_UNIT_TO_UNITLEN
u@uv_profile = primuvconvert(@OpInput1, set(uv.x, 0.0), prim, mode)

vex_command_u_coord.hiplc

I usually just put a resample node before my wrangle and let it create curveu...
Although this works best when actually resampling.

On 2/7/2017 at 2:13 AM, LaidlawFX said:

Houdini 16 launch has been announced, February 21st!

A unified node context, I know this drives people banana's, but it should be a choice to work in different node contexts. Not a mandatory obligation that you need to be in /obj/ Scene, /obj/sop/ Sops, Dops, Materials, etc. to perform those task. Houdini was created with the combinations of several different programs as defined by these contexts nearly 20 years ago now. It's time to UNITE them all! We can still keep the old Context's just as POPs still lives under the hood, or you can just unleash the / context to us all, but it would be nice to work in a unified context i.e. Nuke. And as always it's the users responsibility to keep their network clean! Thank SideFX gods for the wire dots, and the circular contexts.

I agree with everything except this, a unified node context is  a very bad idea.

the number of sops(vops or even dops)is very intimidating as is,having them all in one place would just be too clustered,

i imagine wanting certain sop,and having  a million nodes to scroll through,...

plus if i want a file dop,how do i specify i want a file dop and not a file sop or a file chop?.....nuh let the different context stay different