Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

LaidlawFX

Houdini 17 Wishlist

145 posts in this topic
On 3/18/2017 at 6:22 PM, marty said:

It would be nice to iron out the delay in Mantra starting a new frame. This slight pause adds a lot of accumulated time when the actual frame is quick to render. GPU renderers excel at this. They kick off the next frame instantly.

I think this is one of the primary reasons Mantra feels "slow", especially for animation when the delay really starts to add up. At this point Arnold is looking more and more appealing for its lack of delay.

1 person likes this

On 2017-03-21 at 2:35 AM, axalon said:

I think this is one of the primary reasons Mantra feels "slow", especially for animation when the delay really starts to add up. At this point Arnold is looking more and more appealing for its lack of delay.

By default, mantra now enables the engine procedural.  This might impact start-up time since mantra needs to create an OP network to be able to create SOPs.  Which means it loads all plug-ins etc.

On my machine:

% time mantra < /dev/null
0.472u 0.088s 0:00.62 88.7%    0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
0.516u 0.068s 0:00.62 91.9%    0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
0.472u 0.088s 0:00.62 88.7%    0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

And when I disable the engine procedural

% time mantra -e none < /dev/null
0.324u 0.072s 0:00.44 88.6%    0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
0.316u 0.080s 0:00.42 92.8%    0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
0.308u 0.096s 0:00.46 84.7%    0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

But I understand that at some studios, this test can take up to 20 seconds per run.

Or are you talking about time to first pixel?

@crunch if it's not instant then it's slower than a GPU renderer, seems like that Mantra should be able to dedicate a CPU core to preparing the next frames data or something, so everything is ready to render straight away.