angelous4x

enabling all avialiable GPU for openCL

angelous4x    2

Hi all, 

is it possible or a way to enable all my GPUs for OpenCL?

i have 3x titan-x and a quadro m4000 total of 4 cards. 

thanks

Unless things have changed recently you can use only one device. Though you can load other instances of Houdini with different OpenCL devices and run them concurrently working on different simulations. See the documentation for the environment variable to define the device to use.

• Like 1

sanostol    61

You can use the slicing method to distribute it on 2 gpus, but You have to set it up on Your own. just launch every batch for sim with a differen GPUDEVICE variable

• Like 1

angelous4x    2

thanks guys (epic beard Luke)

@luke

I might change my main device to a non-used on used one. could I change my gpu device variable within the text port or it has to be in the environment variables file?

@Martin

is there a tutorial that I can do the slicing method to distribute on gpus? I am still a total peon, and getting a slow grasp on Houdini. 

thanks

marty    574

I've only heard of env var 'HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICENUMBER' for changing the GPU device

HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICENUMBER
    In the case of multiple OpenCL devices existing of the type specified by
    HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE, this variable selects which of these devices to
    use for OpenCL processing.  For example, with a computer with more than
    one GPU this allows selection of a GPU other than the default for OpenCL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, angelous4x said:

I might change my main device to a non-used on used one. could I change my gpu device variable within the text port or it has to be in the environment variables file?

Open a terminal, set the variable, then launch the Houdini instance. Exactly how you do this depends on the platform you're using.

• Like 1

ikoon    102

Hello,
please, did you manage to automate the distribution of OpenCL calculations to all your GPUs? I also have 4 gpus in one computer now. Is there any management system, which could help me distribute this HOUDINI _OCL_DEVICENUMBER and run more instances of Houdini simultaneously, each calculating distributed slice on one computer?

I am into buying ThinkBox Deadline, as it can distribute GPU render (1 frame : 1 gpu) in one computer, but it can't manage this OpenCL 1:1, as far as I have searched.

Edited by ikoon