Houding cooking every time and right click

hey fellow houdini artists hope that you are doing great today! i recently just notice that my houdini is having to cook everytime i lay down a node a.e geo grid sphere...... and its taking too long to select any node by right click, so i am having to highight the node everytime i wanna select it? .never used to do this... thought i should shoot a question about this thanks

You must have a dop or pop net inside your network that thinks it needs to revise itself. If you know you are going to change a few things in the network and each change is going to require a new cook then move your mouse to the lower right-hand corner of Houdini and click on AutoUpdate. Change it to Manual. Then you can freely make multiple changes to the current network without incurring the penalty of a cook on  each change. After you have made all the changes, switch it back to AutoUpdate to restore normal operations.

I have been using this feature a lot more as I work with FLIP.

I noticed a difference on my windows 10 laptop on the weekend as well. Creating a box would take a minute, selecting and moving nodes would be a complete pain. I checked for latest drivers but there were none available. Everything was working fine before.

Any ideas?

Edited by foxel

Foxel try reinstalling your current graphics card driver if you can't update it. I had the exact same issue during the weekend on my windows 10 laptop. After submitting a bug report, SideFX replied saying I should reinstall or upgrade my graphics card driver. I did that and it immediately worked again.

I had tried EVERY possible solution before that. I uninstalled Houdini several times, deleted the houdini15.5 folder, disabled my anti virus, disabled/enabled the firewall for Houdini, even tried to launch Houdini while offline and nothing seemed to fix it. At one point I even suspected something could be wrong with my RAM since it wouldn't go above 4gb (out of 16) while it was cooking a big scene. No matter what I did in Houdini the memory wouldn't go above 4gb. I ran the windows memory diagnostic tool and had no errors, so I knew it wasn't a hardware issue.

The only thing that solved it was reinstalling the graphics card driver. If that doesn't help I would submit a bug to SideFX!

Edit: To reinstall the latest driver, I actually went into Nvidia's website and downloaded the driver myself, instead of updating it from the Nvidia control panel. My guess is that some update on Windows 10 might have corrupted the driver.

Edited by Jero3d
  • Like 1

@Jero3d thanks a lot i have just updated my graphic card all went back to normal thanks for your help!!! @ dmitri  if you using a gforce driver uninstall it and download and instal it again @Diego A Grimaldi thanks for shout that out i think it was something to do with graphic card but thanks though really appreciate your efforts guys

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jero3d said:

Foxel try reinstalling your current graphics card driver if you can't update it. I had the exact same issue during the weekend on my windows 10 laptop. After submitting a bug report, SideFX replied saying I should reinstall or upgrade my graphics card driver. I did that and it immediately worked again.

I had tried EVERY possible solution before that. I uninstalled Houdini several times, deleted the houdini15.5 folder, disabled my anti virus, disabled/enabled the firewall for Houdini, even tried to launch Houdini while offline and nothing seemed to fix it. At one point I even suspected something could be wrong with my RAM since it wouldn't go above 4gb (out of 16) while it was cooking a big scene. No matter what I did in Houdini the memory wouldn't go above 4gb. I ran the windows memory diagnostic tool and had no errors, so I knew it wasn't a hardware issue.

The only thing that solved it was reinstalling the graphics card driver. If that doesn't help I would submit a bug to SideFX!

Edit: To reinstall the latest driver, I actually went into Nvidia's website and downloaded the driver myself, instead of updating it from the Nvidia control panel. My guess is that some update on Windows 10 might have corrupted the driver.

Thank you for your help, I will try that as soon as I get home. I tried all the things you tried before giving up - only came short of reinstalling drivers.

Thanks again

43 minutes ago, Georgio Buloso said:

@Jero3d thanks a lot i have just updated my graphic card all went back to normal thanks for your help!!! @ dmitri  if you using a gforce driver uninstall it and download and instal it again @Diego A Grimaldi thanks for shout that out i think it was something to do with graphic card but thanks though really appreciate your efforts guys

Thank you! As soon as I get home I'll do that. Very happy that there is a solution