Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Nik S

Houdini 15.5 crowd setup with multiple agents

Hi there, 

working on a system with Houdini crowds in which I have a bunch of bugs writhing around on a dudes body. I can get one agent with multiple clips working no problem but when I try to add another agent (via a merge before I plug into crowd source) the clip attribute does not respect the agent group. That is, a maggot clip is being assigned to a mealworm for example. 

Of course the mealworm (second agent given to the agent group in the crowd source sop) gets screwed up in dops. While the first agent is fine. 

All of the examples I've found deal with only one agent. 

Is it possible to have multiple agents (say 10 different types of bugs) all working in the same crowd simulation?

thanks in advance,

nik

There shouldn't be any issues with having multiple types of agents in the same simulation. Just make sure that for each state the agent may be in, the clip name is valid for that type of agent (if the Randomize Clips option is used, the clip name patterns are matched against the agent's clip catalog before selecting a clip).

1 person likes this

Hi Nik,
We have crowds with many different agents, and there are many methods for setting this up.

When feeding multiple agents into a crowdsource node, you need to leave the 'initial state' field empty so that the each agent will use it's 'current clip' setting when simulating.
If this is not set up correctly, then you will get agents either not simulating, or incorrect behaviour.

Hope this helps!
Matt.

1 person likes this

I do indeed have the randomize initial state enabled! I will try the above and let you know how it goes. 

Thank you! :)

I do indeed have the randomize initial state enabled! I will try the above and let you know how it goes. 

Thank you! :)

Edit:

Update! Modified my setup to have a different agent per clip and everything is working. thanks for pointing me on the right direction!

Edited by Nik S