Houdini 16 and Nvidia drivers on linux

art3mis

Thank you for pointing that out edward ;) My bad. However, I've installed it and it's still the same - no OpenCL device :/ 
And sorry that I'm posting about Windows in the Linux-related topic but the common thing is the Nvidia/OpenCL problem. I'll check Linux and we'll see. 

Edited by loogas
grammar

@loogas has an AMD processor and again the built-in OpenCL CPU doesn't work. Kind of confirms that AMD CPU OpenCL isn't supported out of the box.  This affects features such as the terrain tools as it appears that OpenCL 1.2 is an absolutely requirement as there isn't C++ fallbacks, yet. Maybe the manual should have how to install AMD CPU OpenCL.

The 580GTX doesn't appear to support OpenCL 1.2, only 1.1, which is required for H16.

Edited by tar

@Atommy GTX580 has 3GB of memory but good guess ;)
@martyI was wondering if the version is the problem (platform version vs. device version in my screenshots). It seems it is.

Well, I've installed Linux Mint just to check this issue there and I can confirm that OpenCL support on my GTX580 doesn't work in Houdini 16 Apprentice on Linux as well. Time to upgrade then (I think I can borrow a different card ;)).

Thanks for your input guys.