balloon pop effect - cant constrain grains (scene file)

anthonymcgrath

hey all this one is really biting my butt - i've got a grains setup with a simple shape passing through it - much like the classic balloon and bullet vids..

i cant get the grains to stay still tho!!!!  its really winding me up - i added an attribute targetweight which is based on colour.  My understanding is the red points would be pinned and the black would hang.  So i'd at least get something hanging on... but all the points fall.

can anyone suggest any ideas please or take a look at my scene see where i'm going wrong - i'm trying like hell to understand getting the attributes into a dopnet but for some annoying reason it never seems to work for me :(

balloon_pop_v01_grains.hip

If you want to simply pins them, you can replace your targetweight wrangle with this @mass = @Cd.x;

setting mass to 0 act as pinning.

but it will just separate your grains into 2 blocks.

Edited by 6ril
  • Like 1

@fencer   wow this seems to work pretty well thankyou :)  didn't even know there was a pop awaken in there - that seems to work quite well and provides a nice pinning point too

@6ril   thankyou that also works quite well but like you say it separates into two chunks - i was actually trying to suss out where to set the @mass tbh as i'd read something about that but was utterly lost where to find the attribute in the dopnet :/

thanks guys if you have any other suggestions i'm all ears!  I was thinking further and wondering if i can create a simple cloth shape from the original balloon mesh in my scene and usethat to 'hold' the grains in place.  might be a bit heavy and sluggish tho?

not sure (no exp with grains), but you might have to use constraints for holdin them up together ? If so, I think it's not compatible with opencl.. (I would keep switchin opencl on and off : /  )

There's some info in the doc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 6ril said:

not sure (no exp with grains), but you might have to use constraints for holdin them up together ? If so, I think it's not compatible with opencl.. (I would keep switchin opencl on and off : /  )

There's some info in the doc.

ok will try that out - i did try a target constraint - that seemed to work on groups of points with a FEM sim a while back - dunno if it works with pop grains tho but will try !