H16 lags

I have the feeling that my workflow and Houdini's feedback on my input/commands is much slower than with previous version. Moving the mouse over the top menu and there is a lag of about 0.5 - 1.0s till the menu gets highlighted. Press tab and type in the name of a node and there is the same lag, sometimes even worse, 1-2s.

I updated the nvidia drivers to the newest one. Sometimes I read in the lower left corner "Evaluating python". No idea where this comes from.

As much as I love the update, working with is so far feels horrible. Can't believe that there should be such a difference in speed on the top level of H between both versions.

Cheers
Tom

Yep. Point is, how can I bring it back to speed? Got two Titans Black inside the PC and the best new chips available are just twice as fast as my current one. So, this won't work.

Stunned that nobody else is complaining?!?!

The viewport does seem to be the culprit. I notice I can no longer load hi-res meshes in Houdini. This is what it is famous for. I get better performance out of Marvelous Designer  on the same hardware with the same .OBJ, compared to Houdini.

I have even tried turning on Remove Back Face Culling.

I get the feeling that there is still a single-core process involved that has to loop over all the points. That process should be multi-threaded.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Yep. Point is, how can I bring it back to speed? Got two Titans Black inside the PC and the best new chips available are just twice as fast as my current one. So, this won't work.

Stunned that nobody else is complaining?!?!

The Qt4 version is butter smooth on MacOS whilst the Qt5 version degrades over time to the point where the pop-up window buttons no longer are clickable. :wacko: 

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

...Moving the mouse over the top menu and there is a lag of about 0.5 - 1.0s till the menu gets highlighted....

helpful little tip for people who hate waiting for the tooltip info that pops up when you hover over a shelf tool, or parameter, etc....  if you hold the CTRL key while you hover, the tooltip pops up instantly.

• Like 4

Just tested 16.0.537.

:(

Still crappy UI performance if trying to use two monitors.  Ugh, I'm so bummed out about this release.  Looks like I won't be getting any use out of this release until I can get my hands on a wicked expensive video card.  SESI is really crapping on my world right now.  Really took the wind out of my sails. 

Edited by TobiasSteiner
wrong version number

I tested it on linux, and immediately got annoyed by the laggy experience.

I blamed my video drivers, but now that I read this thread...

staying on 15.5. (and mad to miss on that awesome boolean tool).

5 hours ago, TobiasSteiner said:

Just tested 16.0.537.

Looks like I won't be getting any use out of this release until I can get my hands on a wicked expensive video card.

Have a GeForce 1070 and am still experiencing viewport lag, so I don't think it's just your viewport

20 hours ago, TobiasSteiner said:

Just tested 16.0.537.

Still crappy UI performance if trying to use two monitors.  Ugh, I'm so bummed out about this release.  Looks like I won't be getting any use out of this release until I can get my hands on a wicked expensive video card.  SESI is really crapping on my world right now.  Really took the wind out of my sails. 

Did you test 1 monitor instead of 2? Did you test test the Qt4 version as well?

On 03/03/2017 at 3:33 AM, Atom said:

I agree Houdni 16 is bloated and slower. I mean who wanted all that silly eye candy anyway? I find a radial menu on every node to be excessive.

I'll just throw in that I disagree with these types of statements - H16 is large step forward in usability and being a pleasant UX and UI. 

EDIT: though I'm sure we'll all keep this in mind next time you have an issue trying to run h16.. that is if we want to help you or not...

Edited by tar

Hmm, I can't say that I have noticed any performance difference in the UI from previous versions. I tried the QT5 16.0.538 windows build at work earlier on a triple display setup. Worked fine, no issues. I believe that machine has a GTX 680.

At home I have a Quadro 4000 in my machine and I'm not seeing any lag here either.

Im also feeling the slowdowns in H16. For me it's packed geos that sometimes give me less FPS, removing packed and the FPS goes up. 15 and 15,5 was all fine.

Is it just me, or is anyone else having this little issue?