Color management in Houdini for renders

I've bumped in to this very good and cool video from the blender community, I always watch their stuff it's awesome, and in the video they talk about color management workflow and how this really affects the render results and this go way beyond the linear workflow that we all know about and it is very interesting, technical and well explained stuff and I encourage everyone to watch.

The thing is a lot stuff that they talk about in the video can be also applied to Houdini specially the problems, things like crunched color ranges and LUTS I know that Houdini has this feature but is something that I never had used in production but after seeing the video I think I am missing a good opportunity to improve my work using it. 

It would be really great to hear thoughts about this subject and maybe some tips in how to work the same solution in Houdini, any ideas?

I also found this on the help:

openColorIo

I don't know enough about color management files to tell if it is the same thing as a LUT or if it works similarly maybe someone here in the forums could tell.

There is also this link for the open source color management that is made in c files that Houdini says it's compatible I don't know how to use them.

" OpenColorIO is free and is one of several open source projects actively sponsored by Sony Imageworks. "

OPEN SOURCE COLOR MANAGEMENT

Edited by Mzigaib

I'd have to dig into this more because all that I can see they are doing is a 3dlut at the end of the chain instead of sRGB. No big deal unless I've got it wrong.

Soon as I have the opportunity I'll try compile those profiles to see how it goes, it seems the using this "openColorIo" requires setting an environment variable in order to work so it's a little more complicated than just load a .lut but it can work directly without the need to convert or create anything which is good.