Procedural Sawdust

chrisdunham95

Hey guys, working on creating some procedural sawdust for a student short - so far im kind of happy with what im getting but my method is quite heavy which means takes upto a day to sim it all out and still cant get it looking perfectly 

- I take 5 peices of geo scatter it randomly with copy sop - then dynamically drop it onto the enviro (using packed primatives)

- Take that geo - use as collision - drop another layer of copied sawdust ontop again using RBD packed object

- i then create a final layer of sawdust and drop that onto the terrain and previous layers - As ive said this method is very heavy as i need as much geo as possible to get the 'sawdust' look - 

- My main question is - is their away to dynamically drop 1,000,000 cubes onto enviro geo then take the cubes and copy my sawdust geo onto that? - The main reason for the dynamic drop is to get the placement to look natural / no intersections etc.

Any thoughts or ideas on anyone elses approach or a technique i could add to what i have to create more control? - i had thought about creating a attribute which drove the orientation of the peices but even then id get intersections which other sawdust geo aswell as the environment 

have you tried to use a proxy geo for collisions? you can then very easily replace them with high res geo. Then you should be have to skip the layers and drop them all at once ? maybe ?

1 hour ago, benne5 said:

You might want to consider scattering/painting points on your environment and then instancing or copying stamaping the sawdust bit to the points.  They copystamping can include variables for rotation, scale, etc. 

oh I thought Chris wanted some animation of the sawdust falling... But if it just to settle a pile of dust, INSTANCING (more efficient then stamping) would be the easiest way.

but.. self intersections.... might not be such a problem tho (depend on the distance to cam).

1 hour ago, benne5 said:

You might want to consider scattering/painting points on your environment and then instancing or copying stamaping the sawdust bit to the points.  They copystamping can include variables for rotation, scale, etc. 

15 minutes ago, 6ril said:

oh I thought Chris wanted some animation of the sawdust falling... But if it just to settle a pile of dust, INSTANCING (more efficient then stamping) would be the easiest way.

but.. self intersections.... might not be such a problem tho (depend on the distance to cam).

Yeah this is what im currently doing - very close to cam at times but defocus will be used thanks tho guys