Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

gramx

Houdini to Unreal - Vertex Animation Textures

Hi,

I am trying to export a fluid sim from Houdini 16 using the new vertex animation textures node. I am having a few problems hooking up the material in Unreal. I have copied and pasted the Fluid UE4 code but have found that there are no notes on how to hook it up and get it working.

Does anyone know how to do this? or is there a sample scene or tutorial on setting up the Unreal materials?

I have attached hip and export files plus a screen grab from Unreal.

Thanks
Graham

Capture.JPG

flip.hip

flip_col.exr

flip_mesh.fbx

flip_norm.exr

flip_pos.exr

Edited by gramx

Hey Graham, and anyone else trying to do this

I just put out a video with a little explanation of the gotchas of the process as well as the project that I showed at GDC with source files and an updated HDA (which should be going into the build anyday now)

A lot of people have been asking for more info on this, so hopefully this clarifies it a bit

4 people like this

Hi Luiz,

I have been looking at the hip files and it seems that you have a newer version of the Vertex Animation Textures Asset. I get an error saying incomplete asset definition. Are you able to send over the latest asset or will it be available in the next Daily Houdini build. I am running 16.0.542

Thanks

Graham

oh yes, found it now GDC2017_VertexAnimationTextures\Source\vertex_animation_textures.hda

Thanks

Hi,

I'm using the newest vertex animation texture tool downloaded from github, but when I render, it just don't export the fbx mesh. So I have only the pos and norm exr... I'm using version 16.0.633. Any idea of how this happen? Thanks!

On 8/1/2017 at 8:17 PM, mestela said:

You're not using apprentice but any chance? Fbx export is disabled in apprentice. 

Oh maybe that's true... I'm in school and we maybe got education license for class T^T but it worked when some professional guy come for a workshop

Just to toss this out there.    Earlier I was doing a export and found that the soft export (Beta from github) was overwriting my UV set.  When I dove in, the switch statement had the following warning.  

Warning 
Bad node reference: "../divide1" in parameter /out/vertex_animation_textures_beta1/soft_obj/STATIC_MESH/switch1/input.   which was causing it to always use the first input, which was a uv unwrap.  

After bypassing the switch everything exported as expected.  

Also, it appears to skip exporting the vertex alpha. 

Cheers 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor