gramx

Houdini to Unreal - Vertex Animation Textures

Lil update for anyone interested - I got sprites to work by turning on two sided which made them visible and fixed the issues :) (within the UE4 Shader)

Edited by chrisdunham95

9 hours ago, chrisdunham95 said:

Lil update for anyone interested - I got sprites to work by turning on two sided which made them visible and fixed the issues :) (within the UE4 Shader)

I often have to flip normals when exporting from Houdini.  Could probably fix that prior to export if double sided is undesirable.  One thing that helped me find this prior to export is in the display options, under optimize, flag the remove backfaces option.    But it also could just be an issue in the export rop.  Good find!   

The fluids issue is strange.  I'll run through the fluids tomorrow and see if I can figure out the magic settings.  I realized last night after I posted that what I thought of as my "fluid" is actually not a fluid export but a soft body export.  The simulation is fluid, but I use that to displace the original mesh since I was just doing some melting stuff.  So it is possible I never did figure out the fluid end.  I'll dig around though and see if I can find anything useful.  Oh, random thought, you could double check the import settings on the texture to see if it is set to Vector Displacement instead of a standard compressed file.   

Edited by LucidMovement

18 hours ago, LucidMovement said:

I often have to flip normals when exporting from Houdini.  Could probably fix that prior to export if double sided is undesirable.  One thing that helped me find this prior to export is in the display options, under optimize, flag the remove backfaces option.    But it also could just be an issue in the export rop.  Good find!   

The fluids issue is strange.  I'll run through the fluids tomorrow and see if I can figure out the magic settings.  I realized last night after I posted that what I thought of as my "fluid" is actually not a fluid export but a soft body export.  The simulation is fluid, but I use that to displace the original mesh since I was just doing some melting stuff.  So it is possible I never did figure out the fluid end.  I'll dig around though and see if I can find anything useful.  Oh, random thought, you could double check the import settings on the texture to see if it is set to Vector Displacement instead of a standard compressed file.   

Ahhh yes good thought!

Ahhhhh strange that a fluid works through the soft body export but I will give that a try myself and see the results, yeah again nice thought I will keep it in mind but most of the time textures seem to recognise correctly,  Thanks again Neil :)

- Little update; tried the soft body method with a small moving fluid but couldn't get the translation to work, sooo went back to the fluid method but still getting the exact same look (almost asif the position map is baked with higher polycount/vertex count than the fbx I import and so cannot move all verts correctly but the movement is roughly correct)

- Another thought, Has anyone found it necessary to manually set the bounding box parameters (min/max) within the UE4 shader? thought it maybe fix some issues but perhaps a hopeful but simple solution

Please see the issues with my fluids inside UE4 in the video below

2017-10-11_Capture_Fluid_Mesh_Issues.flv

Edited by chrisdunham95
Adding attatchments

Found a solution to my above issue - my frame range in the shader was off by 1 due to a bit of personal error! So fluids working :) - and for anyone having RBD issues make sure fully precisions uv's are turned on and the filter inside the mesh I believe should be set to nearest which should help

Oh, wow.  Useful info, didn't know it would fail in that way with the frame being off.  Good to know!   The bounding box min/max I've always had to set.  The UE4 shaders they give you to copy I think are just generics.  Once you have one in your project you can just make material instances and set the settings according to that particular export.   

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.