Fireballs - Flame trails

younglegend

Hey guys, i'm working on a personal project involving fireballs. I could use some help to get flame trails. Right now the flames are going straight backwards corresponding to the velocity of geo which is fast. Any tips or tricks to get those flames look interesting?

I have tried negating the velocity before plugging it into fluid source. Tried emitting from particles. Both doesn't work. Thanks!

Capture.PNG

Hi!

Well, I would try to create a particle trail with some noise and use that as source for the fire.

Or another way could be to put your geo to the origo, transfer the velocities from the animated (moving) geo to the still one(may be scale down a bit), and create the effect there, then give the transformations to the fire effect to snap to the moving object. 

On 3/16/2017 at 10:22 AM, Atom said:

Have you enabled Add Curl Noise on the Velocity Volumes tab of the FluidSource node that generates your fuel?

Yes, its enabled. Even tried high values. The fire behind is getting affected but not getting the desired results.

22 hours ago, galagast said:

What is your current sub-steps settings? It might be possible that you'll also need to increase it a bit more due to your high velocity object.

Here's a quick test:

Thanks for the test file jeff. My substeps are currently at 5 actually, as the geo has high velocity like you said. My results are similar to yours. But i'm thinking of a way to make the flames, which is in front of the fireball have good trails like the ones at its back (not too much) without having to slow down the geo. Still doing some tests...

Edited by kishenpj