Autogenerate Html Ui's For Digital Assets

puma.snyder

Hi everybody,

I'm back :ph34r: into Houdini land

Currently I'm looking for a way to automatically generate a html user interface for my digital assets. I imagine having a button in each of my otls, which runs a script, which then looks which parameters are exposed in my asset and then generates the html source code.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this and could give me some ideas how to create such a setup?

Thanks a lot in advance

Cheers

Achim

Hi everybody,

I'm back :ph34r:  into Houdini land 

Currently I'm looking for a way to automatically generate a html user interface for my digital assets. I imagine having a button in each of my otls, which runs a script, which then looks which parameters are exposed in my asset and then generates the html source code.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this and could give me some ideas how to create such a setup?

Thanks a lot in advance

Cheers

Achim

19045[/snapback]

I don't know of any "button" that does it. I happen to see one of my co-worker does it. What she did was to use python (or any scripting language of your choice) to parse a default html to generate the modified Html for the help menu. I'll have to ask her again tomorrow on how she went about doing it.

That'd would be pretty close to being a "one button" click, I'd imagine.

Sorry not much help here.. :unsure:

-Alex

Hi Alex

thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't describe it too well, I'm not looking for a premade Houdini function that does all this, that "button" thingy was just the way I imagine to run such a script from within my DA.

It would be nice if you could ask your coworker, as I have no idea how to get a list of all the UIcontrols in a DA.

Hi Alex

thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't describe it too well, I'm not looking for a premade Houdini function that does all this, that "button" thingy was just the way I imagine to run such a script from within my DA.

It would be nice if you could ask your coworker, as I have no idea how to get a list of all the UIcontrols in a DA.

19056[/snapback]

Aaaaah. I see what you're saying. Yeah, let me go ask her later today and see how she does it. I can't remember how involving it was, but I did remember she said it was fairly simple. But then again, she's from science and programming background. ;)

If I remembered it correctly, she took the html help file that came with Houdini, and then simply have python script to parse out certain keywords and descriptions and replace it with her custom HDA parameters and descriptions.

Well, looks like it's not going to take you 100% of the way there, depending on your needs. Basically, what she does is to use python (or any scripting language of your choice) and break open the otl file and parse through the DialogScript inside it and look for lines that contain keywords such as label, name, help, etc. From there she would look at the a skeleton html file and retrofit her python script to dump those html file with proper names and descriptions out directly. Again, it's not a 100% job, but it should take you pretty far.

After talking to her, I think it should be possible for SESI to implement a way to create those basic html help card from the HDA properties. BUt of course, this would be a pretty low priority feature. : P

Sorry still not much of a help here... : P

-Alex

opparm -d /obj/foo *

will give you a list of all the parmeters and their values, not sure if there is an easier way to get just the parameters. Should be easy enough to parse the output in python, just remove the bits in brackets and first couple of words.

19080[/snapback]

Thanks Simon,

unfortunatly that command doesn't report all entries of a dropdown menu, just the index. I guess I have to break up the otl and parse the dialog script

Well, looks like it's not going to take you 100% of the way there, depending on your needs. Basically, what she does is to use python (or any scripting language of your choice) and break open the otl file and parse through the DialogScript inside it and look for lines that contain keywords such as label, name, help, etc. From there she would look at the a skeleton html file and retrofit her python script to dump those html file with proper names and descriptions out directly.  Again, it's not a 100% job, but it should take you pretty far.

19081[/snapback]

Hey Alex,

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I had a look at the dialog script and it should be doable with my limited scripting skills.

Thanks again

Achim