Nike Presto Effect

Hans Peter

Hey,

while waiting for a sim at work Im playing with hudini and trying to reproduce some effect aixponza did for nike presto. Some good ideas how they did this effect on second 13? I attached a very primitivesetup, maybe someone has some input.

Edited by Heraklit

Fairly sure you can do this with VDB morph. Although in my experience you'll really need some heavy machinery to work in a high quality, depending on your hardware it might not be the best option

For how you would do it it's simple, you just need to animate both meshes separately, that is, the pyramid and the shoe doing their things, and then find a timing in the vdb morph that you're happy with

• Like 1

Put the primitive shape outside of the shoe shape. Put point normals on the shoe. Pipe shoe into first input on wrangle, pipe primitive into second input. Use intersect function to ray the shoe to the primitive along normal, animate the activation. That should give you the effect. Build more controls as necessary to get the look/timing you want. 

-T

• 2 weeks later...

nike2.gif

I think tetrahedron was simply scaled/sculpted under the shoe's surface and animated between two states. Geometries can be remeshed with SDFs and combined, with possible smoothing, to blend smoother. Tetrahedron should have interesting topology, not just uniform triangles, it will allow nice looking extrude appearing on it's surface after transforming.

nike.hipnc

Edited by f1480187
  • Like 3