houdini 16 group node

Hi, i am following Steven Knipping Houdini rigid 2. I install the Houdini 16 apprentice version and I am stuck with the group node. In the video, Steven creates point group and the convert those point into primitive by group node. but when i use the group node its not creating any group. and when i try with a sphere it working out. There is no tab to convert point to primitive. I try with attribute promote but still getting error. it will be very helpful if someone can explain me the new group node in Houdini 16.

group node.PNG

I think I have a similar issue. I'm trying to create a 'group' node by pressing TAB but when I click on it, it creates a 'groupcreate' node instead - the same node as pictured above. When I right-click the node to Change Type, there is no 'group' node available..

the group node has been split into individual nodes, older tutorials will not reflect this.

what kind of group are you trying to make, or what kind of operation are you trying to do? put down some of the other group nodes and have a look at what they do.

• 1 year later...
On 27.3.2017 at 5:32 PM, michael said:

the group node has been split into individual nodes, older tutorials will not reflect this.

what kind of group are you trying to make, or what kind of operation are you trying to do? put down some of the other group nodes and have a look at what they do.

I'm doing the same tutorial and i'm stuck on the same point. The goal is to create an point-group based on the boundingbox of the imported Metaball. 

Did somebody found a solution for this problem?  

i'm not sure what the exact difficulty are you experiencing. point group by bounding box works right away for me - only you have to set the group type to points instead of default primitives. not sure if it was perhaps defaulted to points in the past. After that you can convert the group from points to primitives by Group Promote SOP. Generally, groups functionality is the same (actually it has a few more features now), so in this area you shouldn't really experience any major difficulties following older tutorials - only you have to remember Group SOP has been split into more simpler groups related nodes.