Is it possible to attach the animation rig of the autorig tool to an existing skinned character?

s---70

I am trying to attach the animation rig controls of the autorig tool to an FBX imported characted from Mixamo, but I have no idea how to approach this.

Also I can't generate a Mocap Rig from the designated Button on the animation rig node after creating a fresh autorig. It tells me to select a skeleton, but which skeleton should I select? There is none, just the individual nodes for spine, left_arm etc.

I think the autorig tool currently lacks proper documentation covering more than just the default procedure.

I'd be really thankful if someone could point me in the right direction!

I believe it is called "re-targeting" when you want one rig to drive another. In your case you may want to simply bite the bullet and just take the FBX geometry and capture it to the auto rig. Then your auto rig will drive the FBX, no Mixamo needed.

Thanks for your answer, first one I got on three forums ;-)

The thing is, I want to add Mocap data to the rig which I then want to correct manually. This works perfectly with the hierarchical skeleton I get from Mixamo (I can re-target the mocap data directly to the fbx inside the software "ipi mocap studio"), but when I adding a Mocap rig with the corresponding button of the autorig, I get a python error

Error running callback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "opdef:/Object/Biped_animation_rig?PythonModule", line 8, in createMocap
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.523/houdini/python2.7libs\autorig\mocaprigutils.py", line 23, in new_func
    return function(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.523/houdini/python2.7libs\autorig\mocaprigutils.py", line 1138, in createMocap
    mocaprig, hou.session.skeleton = createMocapRig(rignode, skeleton)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.523/houdini/python2.7libs\autorig\mocaprigutils.py", line 704, in createMocapRig
    skeleton.setName('motion_skeleton')
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.523/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py", line 5458, in setName
    return _hou.Node_setName(*args, **kwargs)
OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.

Note that the tool tells me to select a skeleton, although there is no real skeleton, so I select a control object and then get this.

BTW This is for Houdini 15.5 and after finding out in this thread https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/45183/?page=1#post-201893 that the autorig is deprecated I will try again with H16.