CG Workshop?

Zetha

Hi everyone,

For a long time I have been thinking to learn Houdini, stunned by some of the projects that I have seen. And finally I decided to start using it!

Right now I am watching some video-tutorials. But I have seen this online course in CGWorkshops http://www.cgsociety.org/training/course/introduction-to-fx-using-houdini1. And I really like the video presentation.

I am specially interested in procedural modelling, but learning about particles doesn´t hurt of course.

Does anyone can tell me anything about this course? Is it worth it? At 699$ is an important investment.

Thank you!

Edited by Zetha

I don't think the price is a barrier, all quality education has a price, but make sure to check out the tutorial page on SideFx for particles too.

3 hours ago, badgerfx said:

If you go to the actual vimeo page of the presentation video some students provided feedback for the course.

https://vimeo.com/194219623

Yeah - but they read like a bunch of positive reviews that the instructor asks for. Critical feedback is much more indicative.

Yes, thank you for your answers.

I have seen the replies in the video, but as Marty said, there is no critical feedback.

I was hoping that anyone in the forums had done the course, or could recommend another one.

15 hours ago, marty said:

Yeah - but they read like a bunch of positive reviews that the instructor asks for. Critical feedback is much more indicative.

Well I signed up for the course this term. You will get the critical feedback in June then.

Those tutos look pretty amazing konstantin :)
The Anastasia series are very advanced... for now. Although they are in my list.

I will sign in the course on summer term, if you can give us some feedback it would be amazing!

5 hours ago, konstantin magnus said:

Recommending an 18 hours chain of VEX wrangles for a beginner? Tough starting point, I´d say ;)

ha! True to that. I didn't think about that, still though excellent resource!

• Like 1

@Zetha
I asked all students (no exception) to share their thoughts on the course and if there is negative reviews you will see them on that page :)
The first and second week covers procedural modeling and we will build the cathedral you've seen in the videos, and in the remaining weeks you will learn about particles, destruction, fluid, smoke and lots of rendering using mantra.

I hope this helps, and good luck learning houdini.

Thanks

Saber

Edited by Saber

On 27/3/2017 at 11:10 PM, Saber said:

@Zetha
I asked all students (no exception) to share their thoughts on the course and if there is negative reviews you will see them on that page :)
The first and second week covers procedural modeling and we will build the cathedral you've seen in the videos, and in the remaining weeks you will learn about particles, destruction, fluid, smoke and lots of rendering using mantra.

I hope this helps, and good luck learning houdini.

Thanks

Saber

Thank you for answering here. I am planning to make the course in summer time, during holidays. How much time would you say it is required to make the course for each week? Actually, I don´t have 2 months holidays, so at some point I will be working. But I am planning on spending as much time as I have available during the course.

Also, I have no idea at all about Houdini. Is that a problem for the course? Or should I start by myself in the meanwhile.

Zetha