RYZEN System for Houdini

angad.singh06

I am thinking of getting a new computer for my freelance work, I am thinking of getting Ryzen 1700X + RX 480 + 32GB RAM on 2000$ budget, I have heard that AMD has better Open CL support than nVidia. I am still a little new on how Houdini uses the hardware, I tweeted to companies who develop, Real Flow & Pf Track, they recommended getting a card with better Open CL support. 

I am also into video editing and motion graphics, ( 2D stuff), so for that I have been using my 2011 Macbook Pro, Its given me a fairly good performance, and that's what I have been using to learn houdini, its given me a decent performance so far. 
Macs were horrible for using Houdini 11 to 13, but since 14 I have seen it has become more stable on Macs, sadly Apple no longer makes computers. :(

Edited by angad.singh06

If you are spending two thousand bucks makes sure you get more than 32GB. That is entry level for Houdini work. To do more complex fluids you will want at least 64GB. Get an nVidia graphics card, not AMD.

Edited by Atom

25 minutes ago, Atom said:

Get an nVidia graphics card, not AMD.

I will definitely go for more RAM, thanks for that Advise. I have mainly been using houdini for Rigid Body Sims.
So that speculation that AMD support for Open CL 2 is better than nVidia false, or doesn't apply to Houdini? As I am looking for a good overall machine that also does well the Maya, Realflow, AE etc. 
Thanks

I don't think there is any OpenCL code in RBD or Bullet IIRC, yet. Houdini requires only OCL 1.2. Nvidia provide very nice OpenCL support as well as Cuda, which is great for Redshift and Octane.