Growing lines between points to form a wireframe

Hello Guys,

I am wondering if anyone can help me get my head around a little problem.

I have a subdivided mesh being generated with a for each loop, similar to the Entagma setup, with an ends sop set to unroll.

I would like to select a point on said mesh then have each point draw a line to its subsequent neighbour, repeating this processes until the whole mesh is formed...creating a kind of growth effect. I would also like to add some randomness to the speed of the connection on a per point basis.

Now I have tried to achieve this a few different ways but I just can't seem to pull this off.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Clive

Growing_lines_between_points.hipnc

This approach is a little heavy, but it works. Tried cunning things with carves and adjustPrimLength that's been discussed here, but the problem is the polylines have all sorts of orientations, so growing them in that fashion often makes them grow opposite to the overall flow.

The base idea here is the same as the infection/growth stuff that all the kids are doing nowadays.

Growing_lines_between_points_me.hipnc

grow.gif

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mestela said:

This approach is a little heavy, but it works. Tried cunning things with carves and adjustPrimLength that's been discussed here, but the problem is the polylines have all sorts of orientations, so growing them in that fashion often makes them grow opposite to the overall flow.

The base idea here is the same as the infection/growth stuff that all the kids are doing nowadays.

Growing_lines_between_points_me.hipnc

grow.gif

This is exactly what I was trying to achieve thank you!

I just went through your setup and it makes perfect sense, I think I was really overcomplicating things a bit.

Thanks again Matt :B)

No probs!

Realised I missed the bit about random speeds, in that case change the line in the solver wrangle that adds a constant amount:

@active += 0.2;

... to something that adds a random amount per point:

@active += rand(@ptnum)*0.3;

I had to then boost the number of substeps on the solver to 20 (or boost the frame range), as it grows much slower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mestela said:

No probs!

Realised I missed the bit about random speeds, in that case change the line in the solver wrangle that adds a constant amount:

@active += 0.2;

... to something that adds a random amount per point:

@active += rand(@ptnum)*0.3;

I had to then boost the number of substeps on the solver to 20 (or boost the frame range), as it grows much slower.

Thank you for taking your time to go through this with me Matt it's really appreciated.

You're a legend Sir!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...