Sign in to follow this  
Atom

Spherify New Terrain/HeightField?

Hi All,

I was playing around with the new height fields in H16 and I wondered if there is a way to convert the grid into a sphere and still have all the tools work as normal? I am basically thinking procedural planet generator.

On 4/6/2017 at 8:53 PM, Atom said:

Hi All,

I was playing around with the new height fields in H16 and I wondered if there is a way to convert the grid into a sphere and still have all the tools work as normal? I am basically thinking procedural planet generator.

Ok,you must understand the technical implementation of Terrain-voxels in 2d dimensional space+info about height.
It will always be rectangular.
I think about procedural planet generator based on Terrain.
But it's still too difficult for me.
The solution can be - cluster of terrain squares converting to mesh and then projecting on sphere(subdiv box for uniform quads),every terrain piece in certain quad.
But the most difficult part is the interaction of square boundaries.
So,the first part will be to divide the full map of planet into these squares and work with them separately.

Or unfold sphere into grid,convert to Terrain and then refold into sphere once again.

Of course I would like to see more solutions about this too.

Edited by Iskander

I have used the RaySop before and kept the distorted sections out of frame, you are still left with a large part of the planet in view.

... or Height Field Project, using a sphere.  The moonscape shelf tool uses this.  From the distance of space these features would be relatively flat on a large planet, you might want to examine the noise functions in the MAT nodes instead?  I created a moon using 'displace along normal' on a sphere.

moon_proc.jpg

• Like 1