resume caching

evanrudefx

Hi,

Another question about caching : ).  I go to my dop network, then output, then save to disk my pyro simulation cache. My pc crashes at frame 55. So I start houdini and load frame 54. I start caching again from frame 54, but the simulation has to start from frame 1 - 54 before it can cache frame 55 and the rest. Why is this? 

Thanks

Because a simulation evolves based on the values from the previous frame, unlike a sop network which is calculated per frame with no time dependency. In order to get to frame 54 you need to calculate frame 53 and in order to get to frame 53 you need to calculate frame 52... etc etc all the way back to the start frame. These values are not stored when you save a bgeo file, you only save the result. You can save a .sim file which would allow you to start again from frame 54, but they take up a huge amount of space as they have to save all that additional information about the simulation's state. 

33 minutes ago, woodenduck said:

Because a simulation evolves based on the values from the previous frame, unlike a sop network which is calculated per frame with no time dependency. In order to get to frame 54 you need to calculate frame 53 and in order to get to frame 53 you need to calculate frame 52... etc etc all the way back to the start frame. These values are not stored when you save a bgeo file, you only save the result. You can save a .sim file which would allow you to start again from frame 54, but they take up a huge amount of space as they have to save all that additional information about the simulation's state. 

The output from the dop netowrk is saving out.sim files. See what I am saying? I am saving the raw sim files, but it is still making me start over.

19 minutes ago, woodenduck said:

Did you change "start frame" on your dopnet? 

Hah! That is the problem. Thanks : ). The only weird thing is that now, when it saves the file, it names frame 111 frame two because it thinks 110 is frame one. I just changed $SF variable to `$SF+109` and now it correctly saves as frame 111. Again, thanks so much for the solution.

• Like 1