Whats So Special About Houdini?

Hi,

I am a student from the university of braunschweig, germany and I am going to deliver a small lecture on animation systems of different softwares in about a week. One of the softwares i have to cover is Houdini but I never worked with it before. Now I need something like an overview and a short description of Houdini's special features for animation because it seemes to be impossible to find out everything for myself in that short time.

Points of interest are such things like cloth animation, muscles, fluids, special features for particles and so on. But feel free to point out anything you think is worthwhile mentioning.

thanks in advance

For me it really comes down to work flow. There are several reasons that the workflow is one of the best out there.

1. The procedural nature of it means you can go into a file made for another purpose and readapt it to another use very easily. An extension of this are the OTL's which make collaberating between workstations very smooth.

2. Houdini is such a complete solution that there really is not much need to use other programs. In most applications there is a lot of time and effort wasted on transfering files between different applications to get a final file.

3. The power to customize both the interface and the operators with ease greatly speeds up workflow. The programming required to adapt most software to the needs of the studio is greatly reduced.

These are just a few of the things that set Houdini apart but the list is very long. Most of it is really hard to explain unless you have used it long enough to really understand the work flow. It is very different from most applications but I find it much more effecient.

Jerry

Hi,

I am a student from the university of braunschweig, germany and I am going to deliver a small lecture on animation systems of different softwares in about a week. One of the softwares i have to cover is Houdini but I never worked with it before. Now I need something like an overview and a short description of Houdini's special features for animation because it seemes to be impossible to find out everything for myself in that short time.

Points of interest are such things like cloth animation, muscles, fluids, special features for particles and so on. But feel free to point out anything you think is worthwhile mentioning.

thanks in advance

19278[/snapback]