Tornado Effect Expression

jjstanley

I have been working on the tornado VTMs from the Houdini course but wanted to modify it to be completely procedural. In the VTM Buzz uses keyframes to trigger the start of the debris field as the funnel gets near the ground. My idea was to have a bounding box follow the base of the funnel and drive the strength of the debris field by the number of particle in the funnel which were inside the bounding box. This way the funnel could raise and lower like in real life and the debris would form automaticly. The problem I am having is refrencing the number of points. I have tried every expression I can think of and read through all the Houdini help I can find but not having any luck. My bounding group is working because when I middle click on the group SOP it shows the number of particles in the bounding box at any time. I thought that $NPT would work but it doesn't so I tried npoints but no luck there either. Any ideas on how I would make this work?

Can you share these VTMs?, they aren't in the 3DBuzz site.

I'm very interesting in the tornado 3DBuzz videos, if anybody can share them, i think that now 3DBuzz offer their vodeos for free.

Thanks.