Fracture Threshold in FEM

mountaingoat

Hi guys,

I wanted to do some soft body ripping effect and FEM seemed to be the best tool for the job. I'm having trouble holding the fractured pieces together until impact however, and it immediately breaks apart when gravity is active. Do I need a constraint to hold the pieces together like as one would with a typical RBD/Bullet set up and break them in a SOP solver?

I figured that the fracturethreshold attribute is the clue, but I tested with values as high as 20000000 and as low as 0.00000001 with no visual changes. 

Thanks in advance!

18 minutes ago, marty said:

try setting a fracturethreshold attributes in Sops

I've tried setting the attribute in a wrangle without any luck. Is it a point or prim attribute for these? I think I also read somewhere that they are vertex attributes.

Its a point attribute, from the docs: 

Realistic objects do not have the same fracture threshold everywhere. To vary the fracture threshold locally, you can use a fracturethreshold point attribute as a local scale on the object’s fracture threshold.

Fracture.gif

FractTest.hiplc

15 hours ago, marty said:

Its a point attribute, from the docs: 

Realistic objects do not have the same fracture threshold everywhere. To vary the fracture threshold locally, you can use a fracturethreshold point attribute as a local scale on the object’s fracture threshold.

Fracture.gif

FractTest.hiplc

Thanks for the hip file! I was also wondering if there's a way to find the best fracture threshold value or if it's just an arbitrary value that I need to test out?