I'm confused about a School

atlemgw

Hi guys,

I'm having a few question do to a specifik school in Denmark, which I've applied to lately. The thing is, that they tell it's a school who practices in digital design, like 3D graphics. I have seen a few examples but is really not convinced. I have recently applied (they wanted some of my graphic to make the decision if I'm good enough) and is now waiting for there answer.

But I'm so so nervous if this is the right choice to make. If you'd like you can see some of the schools examples here: http://interaktivt-design.dk/2016/05/23/3-uger-med-motion-graphics/

I do some 3D in my sparetime, which you can see on pixelator.net. I don't know how good I am, but do you think this school is a good choise. Most of the examples are final product after 3 years.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks a lot!

Another examples is these:

Edited by atlemgw

Hey man,

your work is pretty good and it seems like this school is not that great based on the videos you posted and the link.

Maybe you should look into other schools? The Animation Workshop in Denmark is quite well known worldwide, maybe that'd be a better choice? Or maybe you should just take online courses, it really depends what field in the 3D world you want to explore.

Good luck!

Hey Diego,

Thanks for your message. I think I'll turn it down if the should offer me to join the school. 

I'm kind of "lost" when it come to schools and cources. I really enjoyed the cources from Vizy Acky (especially 3D math). Do you think I'm good enough to apply for a job at the moment - untill I find a school?

Thanks!

I didn`t finish any animation/3d school and work in FX. To be honest a lot of people that work in 3D have degrees in different fields or don`t have any. If you choose to study, do a proper research if spending all that money for education is really necessary.

But don`t get me wrong, studying in university is a good time in your life. I studied structural engineering and never regretted it. Student life has is perks :)

• Like 1

Thank you very much! I also think that 3D college is the best choice to make. There's also the Danish Film School (but I guess that more if you'd like to become a director or producer in animation).

I just recieved a letter from the school I've applied to and they just turned me down. I think they wanted 2D-guys who knew how to use Adobe (that's more or less the only program we use in Denmark). But it's good to know that many people don'thave an a degree but still can find work in the industry.

I'll much rather prefer to just go into the business as soon as possible and if nescessary work for free just to get my foot inside the door. I don't know the 3D business at all. Do you think my work (pixelator.net) is okay to try to apply some places? 

On 02/06/2017 at 1:03 PM, atlemgw said:

Thank you very much! I also think that 3D college is the best choice to make. There's also the Danish Film School (but I guess that more if you'd like to become a director or producer in animation).

I just recieved a letter from the school I've applied to and they just turned me down. I think they wanted 2D-guys who knew how to use Adobe (that's more or less the only program we use in Denmark). But it's good to know that many people don'thave an a degree but still can find work in the industry.

I'll much rather prefer to just go into the business as soon as possible and if nescessary work for free just to get my foot inside the door. I don't know the 3D business at all. Do you think my work (pixelator.net) is okay to try to apply some places? 

Don`t know nothing about 3d industry in Denmark, but I bet you have some nice studios there, for adds I`m guessing. If you are thinking about the film industry, and want to work on big projects, you should probably be willing to relocate. (UK, Canada, Australia, some studios in Germany and France).

Choose tutorials online to follow, make few good shots (just make your own versions, not 1/1 from tut) and try to apply to places.

But I would still probably try school or college, as there you can experiment a lot. And some schools help their student to get in to industry.

As looking at your work. If you want to be a modeller then probably go with maya as that is industries standard. Fx - houdini (good to know maya as well)

Also watch some tutorials about rendering, and how to make your stuff look great. Try Arnold, Renderman. I`m using Arnold now. Love it.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your comments.

I guessI'll try to find some more tutorials about all kind of aspects. I'm not sure yet what kind of 3D I would be interested in working with. I like modeling a lot, but lighting, programming, rendering, shading, l-systems and animation is also very interesting. The only things that dont interests me are UVs and rigging.

For this summer I'll make a small demoreel where I use some of my models in animations and integrates vfx work simulations, because vfx is also a field that interest me so so much.

I really like to work with 3D.I'm very sure that I've found my right way.

By the way: I just recently got a job offer. It's a parttime/freelance position over the summer. That is so awesome.

Cheers